Daylight 57 - Avoid

Daylight (57)

"Yan, are you now feeling better?" I whispered on her ear.

Her eyes were still closed. Her lips were still a bit shaking from all the shock she had experienced earlier. I kept on brushing her hair and kissing her forehead from time to time to hopefully relax her.

We're here at her apartment unit. Nakaupo kami sa kama niya at nakayakap siya ng mahigpit sa akin. Ang ulo niya ang nakasandal sa dibdib ko at nababasa ng luha niya ang damit ko.

Minutes after Director Pruden died, doon palang dumating yung medic team. He was sent straight to the morgue because he was already lifeless when they arrived. Everyone was still in great shock when they took Director Pruden's corpse inside the ambulance.

I, too, was in great surprise. I still couldn't believe what happened. His sudden death made a lot of new and unforeseen problems to the whole LIAM management and community.

Still, I had to pull myself together. I have a girlfriend who's obviously traumatized by the whole incident that had just happened before her eyes. So before I start thinking of what could probably happen in LIAM, I had to make sure Yanisa's alright first.

Pagdating palang sa unit niya, pinaliguan ko na siya agad. I scrubbed her whole body and made sure she was clean before using the towel to dry her up. I've told her twice that she's already clean but she kept of wiping her body, still.

Sobrang tagal niyang naligo ulit. I kept on telling her that she's already good but she won't believe me. She just cried and cried inside the shower room. It was such a pain to see her that way. I tried my best but the whole situation is just too heavy... and too fresh for her.

Eventually, I was able to get her out of the bathroom. Binihisan ko siya ng isa sa mga t-shirt at shorts niya. She hugged me and she hasn't said a single word since then.

"Yan," I whispered again.

"Hmm," she mumbled.

"You're safe now. Please tell me you're feeling better."

"I-I am. Thank you. And sorry," she said, hugging me tighter.

"No need to apologize, Yan. No one wanted what happened. It was very terrifying for all of us. But I still thank God you're okay."

She loosened our hug and then looked at me. "S-Sino daw ang bumaril?"

"The authorities are still trying to figure it out. Let's just leave it to them for the mean time." I smiled weakly.

"A-Ash, si Director Pruden... Akala ko ba... Akala ko ba siya yung masama? Bakit siya yung p-pinatay?" she asked. Confusion was drawn all over her face.

"Akala ko rin," I responded.

"S-Sino yung kalaban? Bakit niya pinatay si Director? Ash, naguguluhan ako..."

"Don't think about it for now, Yan. Just rest and let the authorities handle this."

Her head fell on my shoulder. I can hear her starting to tear up again. I kissed her forehead hoping it could ease the anxiety.

"I-I'm so clueless. Did he save me?" she asked.

That's also my question. But I won't let her think more about it now.

"Of course not, Yan. He was obviously the target. He wouldn't get those eight gun shots if he wasn't the one they're planning to shoot—

"At saka wala ka namang kinalaman doon, Yan. Wala ka namang kaaway. It's just him. So don't worry much, alright?" I patted her head.