Daylight 55 - Try

Daylight (55)

"Y-Yan."

"Hey." She smiled weakly at me.

I suddenly want to punch myself for not noticing the time. But then, what else could I've done? I couldn't just push tita Mariela out of my office and tell her that I have to attend to my girlfriend.

It's just... the whole situation... is so frustrating. It was not like I had any choice. But it won't change the fact that it's still my fault.

"I'm sorry, Yan. Sabi ko susunduin kita, sabi ko mag-o-order ako. Wala akong nagawa ni isa," I said in a low, embarrassed voice.

"It's okay," she said.

Silence...

"You heard," I said. It wasn't a question.

I knew she heard it all. If her class ended an hour ago, then she must've been there sitting outside for an hour now, too. Tita Mariela also cried her heart out inside. There's no way she wouldn't be able to hear everything.

Yanisa was still sitting on Fefanie's chair, when she looked down and nodded.

Silence filled us again for a couple of minutes before she spoke.

"M-Morganne's dying and you're the only one who can help her. And you said you'll help." She pressed her lips. I wasn't sure if she was trying to hide her emotions or not.

"Yan, I'm sorry. Are you mad at me? It was a snap decision. I know I should've asked you about it first..."

"H-Hindi ako galit," she said. She tried to give me a smile but I knew it was forced.

"Then why are you forcing a smile?"

"S-Sorry. I-I just don't know what to react. Or how to react. Pero 'di ako galit. 'Di ko lang alam ang sasabihin..." she said.

Lumapit ako sa kanya at hinila ang isang swivel para makaupo ako sa tabi niya. I pulled her chin up to see her eyes. It was blank. She's so hard to read tonight.

"Come with me again. Let's visit her," I said.

Her brows furrowed.

"No."

"Why? Yan, ayokong may issue sa atin. Gusto ko lahat ng ginagawa ko nakikita mo..."

Pumikit siya ng mariin bago siya nagsalita.

"Ash, kaya nga 'di niya nasabi sa 'yo noon yung totoong kalagayan niya kasi kasama mo ako, e."

"But Yan..."

She cupped my cheeks and made me focus in her eyes.

"Ash, just talk to her. Alone. I won't lie, siyempre magseselos ako. Two months palang tayo, kayo, buong childhood kayong magkasama. Ano ba naman ang laban ko dun, 'di ba?" She laughed in pain.

"Yan..."

"Ssh." She placed a finger on my lips to stop me from talking. "Those are facts, Ash. Wala naman akong mababago dun, wala akong magagawa dun—

"Pero ngayon, may magagawa ako. At 'yun ang payagan kayong mag-usap. Selosa ako, pero 'di ako demonyo, Ash. May sakit yung tao, at kailangan ka niya. I won't get in the way.—

"I'll be honest, though. Medyo pakiramdam ko, kontrabida ako sa love story niyo. Ang ganda na kasi, e. Childhood friends turned into lovers na sana. It's like in the movies and in the books," she said.

"Yan, you're my reality. We're not in the movies or in the books. Ikaw ang mahal ko. Please don't think that way," I begged as I held her hand in my cheeks.