Daylight 56 - Words

Daylight (56)

"You'll do it?"

Morganne nodded slowly before whispering, "Yes."

I suddenly let out all the air I didn't know I was holding. I was about to smile in relief when she spoke again.

"As long as you're with me," she said in a hushed tone.

"Ganne..." I started. I didn't know what to say though. She was looking at me straight in the eye while patiently waiting for what I'm going to say. But words just won't come out from me yet.

Was she trying to ask me to go with her during her chemotherapy sessions? Or was she trying to ask me to be with her in the whole process? I don't even have any idea how long does that take.

"That's my only request, Aj. Please be with me, even just as a friend. I-I don't want to go through this alone anymore—

"Hindi kita aagawin kay Yanisa. I know my stand. Hindi ako magpapaka-kontrabida sa relasyon niyo. I just need... someone I trust. And it's just y-you," her voice cracked as she looked away.

"Aj, kahit sa chemotherapy sessions lang. Kahit sa ospital lang. Hindi mo ako kailangan puntahan o dalawin sa bahay. K-Kahit hanggang makahanap lang ng panibagong donor..."

"Will you please be with me?" she begged. She was now looking at me. Tears were again forming on the side of her eyes.

For a moment, we were just looking at each other. I honestly still don't know what to say. I wanted to talk to Yanisa first. I didn't want to make any snap decisions again.

"Yanisa's more than welcome to come with you. Para hindi rin siya magselos," Morganne said.

I smiled faintly as I nodded.

"Is that a yes?" She sounded hopeful.

"Maybe. I'll talk to her," I said.

"Thanks, Aj. Sorry again... for everything."

"I'm sorry, too. For everything."

Sabay kaming napalingon ni Morganne sa pintuan ng hospital room niya nung tumunog ito. Pumasok si tita Mariela. She looked worried, probably because Morganne and I both had swollen eyes from all the crying. Morganne even had fresh tears on her cheeks.

Bago pa siya makapagsalita, inunahan ko na. "She said she'll do it, tita Mariela."

Tita Mariela froze for a second as she covered her mouth with both her hands.

"Oh my god. Is that true, Ganne?" She looked at her daughter.

Morganne nodded and smiled at her mom.

"Oh god..." Tita Mariela started crying. She mouthed 'thanks' to me before she hugged her daughter tightly.

"Thank you, anak! Thank you sobra! Lalaban si mommy. Para sa 'yo. Hangga't kaya ko pa. Hangga't humihinga pa mommy mo. Hindi ako susuko. Please fight for us, Morganne."

"I w-will try my best, mommy," Morganne said in between her sobs.

I patted tita Mariela's back while she was still crying with Morganne. Tita Mariela looked at me before she smiled thankfully. She also held and squeezed my hand.

I was happy to see their mother-daughter moment. I was happy to know that I was of help for this change to happen. I really hope everything works out fine in the end.

"Morganne is a tough girl, tita. She'll get through it," I said.

***

Monday.