Amongst our people

Someone's hand made pressure on my own, that was as much as I could tell. All my body was heavy and there was a faint beep bothering me, I tried opening my eyes but in the end it was all the same, black or blinding white, but there were no shapes recognizable in these colors.

I panicked, my chest tightened and my mouth gasped for air as I had no idea where I was, and wasn't sure of the previous events that led me here.  

My memories were a blur, I remembered waking up in the middle of the night, I remembered telling Madison that Corelia was close, I remembered... I'm not sure, had I just had the baby? Maybe Cordelia got here and now I was death, and this was what awaited for us then, a void.

I heard someone mumble and I tried to call out for them, for anyone to help me. I sat up with urgency, my back hurt and everything was blurry, but as I took a deep breath in things began to make sense. Michael and Madison held each of my hands to either sides of the bed.

"Slow... slow. Breathe" Michael instructed brushing strands of my hair out of my face, in that moment I realized that the mumbling I'd heard before was mine. I tried catching my breath following their instructions.

"What... what happened?" I asked with a raspy voice, turning to look at Michael and Madison.

They both had anxious looks on their faces that slowly turned into relief, although Madison also seemed proud.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I asked her.

"You really scared us puppy. You were fine for a moment and then we lost you. Like actually lost you, and Michael tried bringing you back, but his powers were never meant to heal, just to destroy. Maybe his father was angry or something and he couldn't help you. But I did, I got you back" she winked at the end of the sentence. 

It was a lot of information for me to process so I just mumbled a thank you and leaned more into Michael.

"How long has it been? Is the baby okay? I did had the baby right?" To that they both chuckled.

"You did had the baby. He's okay, the doctor is checking him since he was born early, and the time thing. This all happened in just three hours" Michael told me. He was still caressing my back and holding my hand, as if making sure that I was there and I wasn't going away out of nowhere.

"Cordelia!" I exclaimed when I remembered that she must've been close to the sanctuary. If I counted the time that I had managed to sleep and then this three hours, then she could be at the front door already.

"We have to move, I need to get out of here. We need to protect the sanctuary!, oh on, wait, I have to protect the baby. And if you go alone then what am I-" All of those ideas crossed my mind as I tried fighting Michael's arms to get out of the bed.

"Wait, wait there or you'll hurt yourself. Yes! we did helped you with magic, but still, you need to rest!" Madison scolded me.

"But Cordelia!"

"She's not here, she's not close. I don't think so, remember we sent some fake signs before we went to bed? relax, if only for an hour, please" Michael said. Reluctantly I layed back in bed as I shot them an unhappy glance. What did they want me to do?, just wait here until Cordelia came and then hide and leave them to face Cordelia alone? That won't happen.

"You're not gonna be in bed when she gets here, and even if you are, then you'll be here protecting our son" Michael replied reading my mind as Madison lifted a brow, confused as to what we were talking about.

We stayed in silence and the tension could be cut with a knife. They exchanged looks as if they knew something I didn't until I got tired and exploded.