{4} "Are You New?"

Yesterday, at home, was terrible as usual. Eden kept talking about his grades and how he was going to punch that kid in the face if he didn't stop talking about him and the girl he liked. My dad wasn't paying attention, and he was in his world, but my mother wasn't. She told him not to punch anyone in the face because violence isn't the answer to everything. I snorted and continued eating my dinner.

I sighed and went to my locker to get my stuff. As I was putting my things in my bag, a guy came up to me and smiled at me. I glanced at him before continuing what I was doing.

"What do you want?" I snapped. He kept staring at me like I was going to say something first. His smile widened, and he walked closer to me.

"I just wanted to say hi, and maybe we can be friends?" He asked with hopeful eyes.

I raised an eyebrow. That was a first. I've never had someone talk to me or ask me to be their friend.

"Why?" I asked as I folded my arms across my chest.

Maybe he was lying to me. Someone like him should be in the popular group because he looked like a jock. He had light brown hair, dark brown eyes, and a friendly smile. But looks can be deceiving.

"Because I see you alone all the time, and I noticed that you have no friends," he said. His smile dropped at what he said. It was like he regretted saying that out loud. It was the truth, though.

I glared at him and slammed my locker's door. "Who the fuck gave you the right to tell me if I have friends or not?"

His brown eyes went wide. What was his problem? Who was he? And what made him think I did not have friends? I did have friends. Okay, maybe I didn't, but no one knew that.

"I'm sorry. I just want to be your friend," he apologized.

"Why?"

"I see you around school all the time, and you seem sad," he confessed, and that made me angry. I hung my bag over my shoulder and walked away without any more comments.

"Why are you walking away from me?" He called out when I was a few steps away.

I looked over my shoulder, and some kids were watching us already. "You're lying. I don't like liars," I said and continued my way.

~~~~~~

I banged my head on the table for the fourth time. I kept thinking about the guy with the dark brown eyes, who wanted to be my friend. I was annoying the hell out of me. There were too many questions going in my head, and I knew no answers for them. Why? I had no clue. Every time I thought about him, I didn't feel comfortable, and my heart started beating faster. Maybe I was sick. Or maybe he did something to me.

As I was thinking about that guy, someone tapped my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and raised my head to see who was it. It was a girl with blond hair and blue eyes who stood there smiling at me.

"What?" I asked carelessly.

She didn't like the way I answered, and her smile faded away for a minute, but then she smiled again.

"I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the school!" She announced.

I jumped from the excitement in her voice and tried not to let her notice. I was confused; I wanted to roll my eyes at her because I wasn't new. I looked around and saw a few people staring at us. I glared at them, and they looked away.

"What are you talking about?" I shouted at her. "I'm not new! So go back to your life, and let me go back to mine."

She flinched and walked away from me back to her friends. I knew I could have been more friendly to her, but I didn't want friends. I just wanted to be alone and not to deal with anything that has to deal with anyone's feelings, life, drama, or school's stuff. All I wanted was to go to school, get my grades up, go home, and repeat.

That was normal and simple. That was all I've ever wanted, normal and simple.

I grabbed my tray and threw it away. I didn't feel like eating since everyone was acting weird. I walked to my locker to get my stuff for the next class, but then I saw a guy staring at me. He wasn't the guy from earlier, but he had the same stupid smile on his face. He walked towards me and leaned his back on someone else's locker beside mine.

"What?" I said, getting annoyed already. It was going to be my favorite word for the rest of the year in school.

"I've never seen you here before. Are you new?" He asked with a smirk on his face.

"No, I'm not new. No, I don't need directions to the school, and mostly I don't need your friendship or anyone else," I announced, and then I walked away from his shocked face and went to my class.

~~~~~~

"No, I'm not new! Stop asking me that!" I shouted again at another person who asked me the same question. When I screamed at them, they would either get mad, cry, or flinch from my outburst. They have been asking me if I was new the whole morning, and I was going to lose my mind if one more person asked me if I was new. I was about to walk out when a girl came out of nowhere and stood in front of me.

She narrowed her eyes at me and asked, "Are you new?"

I don't know what made me, but I yelled, "Fuck this! Yes, I'm new!"

Some guys and girls started to greet me, and I didn't know what to do because they were all talking to me at the same time. I tried to shut them up, but they kept talking and talking.

"Shut up!" I roared.

They all shut up, and some of them smiled politely or left. I sighed and flicked my hair away from my eyes. I was going to walk out when I saw a figure standing at the end of the hallway.

"Who's there?" I asked. I was tired of everyone's shit.

The figure shook its head and walked towards me. My heart started to speed up. I didn't know why I didn't run. It was like I had to stand there and look to see who was that person. The person got closer, and I rolled my eyes when I saw who it was. It was the same guy who tried to be my friend that morning.

"What do you want?" I said, annoyed by the person's presence.

"Why did you lie?" He asked as he crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why do you care? We are not friends. I don't know you or want to know you. Leave me alone!" I snapped at him, but then suddenly felt terrible for doing that. All he wanted to do was show kindness, but I didn't want that.

"I don't want to leave you alone," he admitted.

"Why not?" I asked for the third time on the same day. I was asking him the same question. I was confused. Why doesn't he want to leave me alone?

"I can't tell you yet." He left with a smile, and one question pondered my mind.

Why does he want to be my friend so bad?