{58} "Normal One"

It was not a surprise when I felt a...surprise on my bed. I didn't tell Eden because he was just going to say something that would make me throw up, literary! I was wild awake in the middle of the night before, when I heard the house's door slammed and heavy footsteps.

I knew my dad came home drunk and Rachael wasn't with him because they didn't have sex. I hated her and my dad's guts. It was her fault that they were back together again. I told Eden that dad was home the whole time but he's sleeping and couldn't help him with his math homework.

"You know I could've woke him up," he said and not taking his eyes off of his homework. I nodded and chewed on my cereal. We were sitting in the living room coach watching TV. We had at least twenty minutes left before we would have to school but Eden wanted to finish his homework.

"That's it! I give up! I hate math!" Eden screamed and threw his homework on the floor, and jumped to sit down beside me on the couch. I rolled my eyes and set my cereal bowl on the coffee table. Eden used to get like this whenever he got frustrated, and it has always been Math! He said it hurt his brain but on his ELA, he got a four out of five and a two out of five in English, even though English was his favorite subject.

"Maybe I can help you," I offered.

He sighed and got up from the coach. "It's fine, dude. I'll just ask my math teacher for help."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I'm tough, okay? I can help you with anything." H

e looked shocked and then said, "I'm sorry, Zayden. You can help me with anything but I don't need help on my math homework. You are tough but..."

"This has something to do with Cade, right?" He nodded and I chuckled. I had to stop him before he starts rambling on about it.

"I-I don't think I like him, Zayden." He paused to see my reaction. I remained calm but I knew what he was going to say. I never knew he would be so early for saying it. And the worst part was that my little brother was in love instead of me. Damn. "I can tell that you already know what I'm going to say. I thought about what you said and maybe I should try it out with him. He might change for me and that would be great. I hope he still likes me so I can tell him I like him."

A smirk started to form on my lips. Eden raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"You just admitted it for the first time. I'm proud of you, bro." 

Eden blushed and punched my arm. "Shut up, "normal one."" I knew why Eden called me that. It was a weird nickname since I was normal and simple.

"Hey Eden," I said when Eden got his homework and sat next to me. "What does "normal one" mean?"

The blush on his face drained and he looked scared for a second. "Um, nothing. It's just a nickname, it doesn't mean anything."

I could tell that he was straight out lying. I glared at him and said "Don't fuck with me. What do you mean by "normal one"? I'm normal and simple."

Eden sighed while running a hand through his hair. He started chewing on his lip when he got nervous. "Zayden, it'll break your heart."

"Here we go again."

"I'm serious! I can't tell you, beside it'll real hurt your heart and you'll get mad! I know you!"

"You don't know shit!" I got up and walked to the door and grabbed my jacket. "Loving your enemy isn't normal, Eden! It's just weird! How can you love him?"

"You think I wanted to love him? It just happened! Don't blame this shit on me! You have your own issues!" "I told you to stop cursing! You're a baby!"

"No, I'm not! Stop treating me like one!"

"I can if I want to! Mom said you will always be the baby!"

"Mom's gone! She's not coming back!" He scrammed at me, and that was enough to make me quiet. What has he meant by "she's not coming back"? Has she left dad? She wasn't anything like that. She was a kind woman who loved dad. No wonder I haven't seen her...

My eyes turned cold and Eden's eyes widened. I didn't wait for him to say anything. I quickly opened the door and ran out of the house. I didn't know where I was going but I was not going back home.