{75} New and Old

My dad and I talked about random things and it felt nice. I found out that it didn't hurt when I told him some random things. I didn't tell him about what happened with Rhett or even about Shane Nolan. He didn't need to know and probably will never know.

"What happened to your cheek? Is Rhett the one who did that to you?" My dad asked. My smile dropped and hearing his name wanted me to punch him and make his jaw broken. I knew why my dad thought it was Rhett because we like each other.

"I tripped and fell on the floor. I know I told you that Rhett and I like each other but that doesn't mean we're going out," I said and tried to keep my voice calm.

"Love," he said.

"What?"

"Rhett loves you. I see the way he looks at you. He even smiles at the small things you do. I'm telling this because you're my son. Rhett loves you and I know he wouldn't do this to you, and I know it wasn't the floor. So, be honest and tell me who did this to you and I'll tell the principle."

I didn't say anything. My dad sounded like Cassandra. He said almost the same thing that Cassandra said. Was it true? Did Rhett love me? Did I love him? I couldn't answer that question.

"Thanks dad," I said and he gave me a quizzical look.

"For what?"

"For accepting for who I am, and that you didn't disown me. I'm sorry about mom."

My dad just stared at me. I stared back and then unexpectedly, my dad hugged me. I was going to push away but that was my dad, he wasn't going to hurt me if I let him get close to me. He was warm, and safe, I hugged him back and buried my face in his chest. I heard a sniffle and I looked up to find watering eyes looking down at me.

"Why are you crying, dad?" I asked and hold him tighter.

"You're just like your mother. She would say thanks and then I'll be confused because I don't know what I've done and I'd ask her why. And now, you're just the same old Zayden before the accident."

I heard another sniffle and I buried my face back into my dad's chest and smiled. I was like my mom. I was like Cassandra. I was like my same old self before the accident. At that moment, I felt new and old.