Chapter Fifty

"How do you know Tina?" I asked as we drove down the motorway. I was trying to make up for lost time, knowing that I was partly to blame for our delay, by pressing hard on the accelerator loving how my engine purred. "Huh?" She said, peeling her face off of the window. "And why do you always sit like that in a car?" I laughed.
"Well Tina and I went to uni together she was there when I met Jamie and I guess that's why we have stuck together for so long." She paused for a moment, obviously lost in a memory as her eyes seemed to lose their light momentarily. "And as for the window I don't really know really. I think when I was younger I used to pretend I was going on an adventure, like the people in my books did, and it was a way to escape from whatever my family were talking about. Well when I say family I mean just the men, mum never joined in either. Apparently it wasn't her place" she muttered as she returned her head to the window.

The rest of the drive was mainly in silence apart from the radio and my humming. The church service was quite long and I soon regretted driving so quickly as missing one of the seemingly hundreds of hymns would of been quite nice. Despite being long it was very sweet, I do love weddings. When the couple were saying there vows I laced my fingers through Theresa's and she looked up at me with a soppy grin on her face and a few sentimental tears in her eye to which I handed her one of my silk handkerchiefs. Much to my annoyance Oli turned around to stare at Theresa during the vows as well, his piercing green eyes seemed to darken as he met my gaze which gave me an uneasy feeling deep in the pit of my stomach.

Very slowly he turned his head back to the altar and so he should as it was his mum getting married after all. Everyone clapped as the walked down the aisle together and confetti rained down on them. The church soon filled with chatter as the congregation began to drift out of their pews. Theresa and I hung back awkwardly as we didn't know anyone else here, although there were some friendly faces around our age so I know we wouldn't be alone for long. There was a wedding coach organised to transport everyone to the reception venue and we all clambered on board accompanied by the sound of popping champagne bottles.

Theresa and I sat down and I laced my fingers through hers causing her to turn to smile at me. She rested her head against my chest and fiddled with my fingers as the coach began to move. Everyone was in high spirits, one of the great things about weddings, and we got chatting to a couple sitting across the aisle to us which was nice. Their names were Tim and Angie and they looked as though they were in their early twenties which caused learning that they were already married to give me quite a shock.

The drive was relatively short and we arrived at an extravagant, marble arched building with high ceilings decorated with huge chandeliers. As we walked up the stone steps waiters appeared with glasses of champagne and little canapés to nibble on before the meal. We were all ushered into a large reception room for drinks before the meal. Tessa went off to congratulate the happy couple and I stood leaning against the bar watching her: the way her full lips moved when she spoke, the curve of her small waist to her gorgeously wide hips, how her eyes darted around anxiously but most of all how every time she smiled my heart beat a little bit faster and I felt like smiling too. Suddenly her eyes flashed over towards me, obviously feeling my eyes on her, and she gave me such a dazzling, heart melting, jaw dropping my gorgeous smile that in that moment no one else or anything else mattered, she was all I needed to feel infinite.

"She looks beautiful doesn't she?" Came a voice from beside me that made my stomach turn and all happiness drain from me. "Yes she does but she looks beautiful every day to me" I said turning to stare into Oli's slimy green eyes. He was slightly taller than me and much more built up but I wasn't intimidated. Theresa chose me.

His half smile faltered fractionally as he looked me up and down, his fists clenching at his sides. "She is mine" he practically snarled, his voice low and deep, barely audible. "She does not belong to you for she is not a possession to own. She also has a name, and an identity of her own and she has chosen to associate herself with me and not you" I said, emphasising each 'she' with a step closer to him, drawing myself up to my full height "so why don't you stay out of where you are not wanted"

His fists were raised to his sides "Now now we wouldn't want blood on your suit now would we? Wouldn't want to spoil such a special day" Suddenly he grabbed me by the lapels of my suit pulling me into his face "You'll pay for that" he snarled "I highly doubt that" I retorted and he let me go before turning on his heel and leaving the room.

The rest of the afternoon passed by pleasantly: photographs were taken in the garden before we were ushered to sit down for a delicious 3 course meal, laughed at the best man's speech and a few tears were shed at the father of the brides speech and before you knew it the couple were enjoying their first dance before the tables were pushed to the sides to create a large dance floor and a DJ arrived to get the party started.

"I need a drink" panted Theresa who was the dancing queen, admired by all. Usually I wasn't much of a dancer but with Theresa it was easy to just let myself go and I found myself having an amazing time, not caring about how I looked and just let the music carry me through (and I was copying Theresa but trying to make it more manly). She gulped down a glass of water at the bar before ordering us both a cocktail, what are free bars for? The drink came looking innocently pink but by the time we finished the last sip I was feeling the alcohol pumping through my veins "Lets dance!" I shouted but that was before I saw the look on Oli's face as he left the room.

(So guys my flight to Ghana is in 2 hours :\ I won't be able to update whilst im there as I'm volunteering in an orphanage. This chapter was written rather hastily on my phone so I will correct all the mistakes when I'm back!)