Chapter Fifty Five

Theresa's POV

My head whipped around fast, following the sound. "Quite touching really, almost brought me to tears. Almost. Benedict you could work on your acting" Oli walked towards us, his voice cocky, mocking, and bored. A sardonic laugh dripped from his slimy mouth. But his eyes didn't soften. I had never seen him so intimating, not even at the party that felt like a century ago now. "Shame I missed the service really, he was such a nice guy" He pointed to the church behind him, and then wiped a fake tear from his eye. "Shame about his few blips in the road, otherwise these church bells could be ringing for the wedding of Jamie and Theresa" I could sense Benedict tensing beside me. Oli started humming 'Here comes the bride' as he stared at me hungrily.

"You-you didn't know Jamie" I said but uncertainty was obviously laced throughout my voice.

"Oh come on Theresa you're not that stupid, even Benedict worked it out" My eyes flickered to Benedict who's jaw was locked tight "Although I would like to know how you found out, how long you had known so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. Oh yes Benedict I realised that you had put tracers on me these last few weeks. I bet you thought you were really clever. That's the thing with actors they always think they are better than everyone else." He kept walking towards us. I caught sight of a car drawing closer in the distance. "Always think that they know it all, in their made up fantasies, learning lines for a living. Prancing around like they rule this god damn world and stealing other peoples girlfriends" Oli's eyes flashed dangerously as he stared lustfully at me, the façade in his voice cracking momentarily.

My heart was racing hard against my chest, his gaze making me feel hot, like there was no air to breath as it was all tainted by his touch. I was so confused and tired and angry; Angry at myself and angry at Oli and angry at Benedict. My head felt tight and constricted as I tried to make sense of what was going on. I could hear Oli humming again as if our conversation was beneath him.

"What were we talking about? Oh right Jamie" closer the car came "Yes we met quite a while ago actually, bit of a strange coincidence - don't move" he snapped, pulling something out of his pocket and pointing it at Benedict, who had side stepped closer to me.

"Oh don't worry sweetie" he added to me "This won't kill you... But this might" He pulled a small glass dart out of the same pocket and slotted it into the silver gun. "Yes we had both gate-crashed some party in a warehouse a while back, quite a funny story actually." Once more the half-hearted laugh chortled from his lips, his eyes remaining cold. He waved the gun around as he spoke "But I will save that story for another day. It was one of your stupid actor friend's parties I believe. Anyway I traded him the first draft of this" he gestured to the gun and the car stopped "If he promised to help me. And so Benedict has had the privilege of trying it out already haven't you?" I watched as Benedict's fingers twitched impatiently, his eyes focused. "But of course I have made adjustments since then, it's much, much more lethal now" His teeth flashed menacingly. What was he talking about? Beside me Benedict was rigid, his eyes barely moving from the dart gun in Oli's hand. I wanted to ask him what he was talking about. The party? That had been Lestrade's- I mean Rupert's. But poison? What was going on?

A sick smile crossed his face. Two men climbed out of the car. "Jamie really was a great help to me, shame he couldn't keep it together at the end. He stopped taking his 'medicine' you see. Well he couldn't afford it anymore as he owed me so much money, his choice of lifestyle wasn't the healthiest and he lost a lot of money. It's a good thing I have a lot of money otherwise we would have lost young Jamie much sooner. But as soon as he stopped taking those pills he changed. He became weak and suddenly he didn't want to go through with the plan anymore" he flicked the silver gun "He turned out to be a coward in the end, I should have kept a closer eye on him though, nearly ruined the whole thing. All the same it was still very effective without him if I do say so myself. Speaking of which, got anything left from the fire Bennie?" I heard Benedict practically snarl next to me. Oli's lips curled up in a sick smile obviously satisfied at Benedict's reaction.

My mind raced with all this added information. Oli started twirling the gun around "Terrible, terrible shame I couldn't keep Jamie on really, but he's one of many that can be replaced easily. Theresa here can't be replaced. Benedict can be replaced." His voice was matter of fact, as if everyone should know this simple piece of information.

His eyes locked with mine as he raised the gun to point at Benedict's head. Suddenly he seemed to remember something as he lowered the gun slightly, clearing deciding whether to divulge this next bit of information, but his arrogance got the better of him "It's actually me in a lot of those pictures in the paper" He was caught up in his own brilliance, I could tell he had been dying to tell someone, his once gorgeous eyes twinkling.

"Quite clever actually. I just happened to have a fireman's suit lying around at home, thought I'd lend a helping hand in the flames. Gave me a chance to see Jamie one last time and test my new mixture. I mean who's going to look for poison in a fire victim" His teeth flashed white against his tanned skin, his once kind green eyes were maddened. His smile vanished as fast as it had come "I got to look him once more in the eyes before he died, he knew that his betrayal cost him his life. I was so tempted to take you with me then Tessie. It would have been so easy as you lay unconscious. Too easy though. Not challenging enough. Any common idiot could have done it. And that's why I'm here, I have some unfinished business" He raised the gun higher so it pointed directly at Benedict. The two men were approaching faster now, closer and closer they came, their feet thudding on the ground in time with my racing heart.

"Drop your weapon! Metropolitan police!"

"Oh how ordinary. How perfectly ordinary." Oli said rolling his eyes but not moving, genuinely looking disappointed " I should have guessed that you would have done something as predictable as this. "

"Drop your weapon or we will take action"

He turned his head to look at the two men now approaching, a thick smile on his face.

"Kill me then" Benedict said. "You kill me and they won't hesitate when they convict you. Two murders against your name, doesn't look good for you."

"So what, I kill you I go to prison, I don't I still go to prison. You think you've got me don't you? Think you've protected your precious Theresa, but there's one thing you haven't thought of. Much less boring. Bless you"

It happened very quickly; the gun was inside his mouth and pointing up at the roof of his mouth, his eyes wide, a mixture of fear and excitement. He paused to make eye contact with me, a huge grin on his face. And then a gun was fired.

He crumpled to the floor, his legs collapsing beneath him, his head smashing down on Benedict's car before he lay on the floor screaming, high pitch, and haunting. I wondered whether he thought it would have been a peaceful death or whether he had designed it to be painful. His eyes were writhing, only the white part visible. I half expected foam to start frothing and him to shout to the heavens but instead a deep, crimson pool began to form around him. Blood poured from his hand and Benedict kicked his silver gun over to the police. Oli thrashed on the floor, rolling from side to side clutching the bloody mess of his hand. I felt myself gagging at the gaping hole left from the police bullet but remained standing and watched as the police came in, pinning his hands behind his back. "Oliver Brook, you are under the arrest for the murder of James King. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on in court"

"Anything you do say may be given in evidence." They picked him up of the floor and put him into the back of the car and that was that. He was gone, just a pool of blood remained on the floor.

(Very very sorry for the late update but my alevel exams start on Tuesday so i have been a bit distracted from the story. Its so near to the end now, i hope this answered a lot of your questions and hopefully i surprised a few of you :) Let me know what you think, as always i love to read all of your lovely comments!)