Chapter Six

I followed behind Benedict as I walked through his flat, taking it in as we went. We walked along a long hallway with bookshelves lining the walls and a few paintings hanging on the walls. He walked me into a living area. It had two large bay windows at the end of the room letting the light of the setting sun cascade into the room where it mixed with the orange light from the flickering fire, creating a warm feeling. There were two leather arm chairs, with high curving backs and between them was a long leather sofa with a tartan blanket draped over the top. Above the fire was a flat screen TV but it was off and I saw out of the corner of my eye an old book lying open on the wooden coffee table in-between the fire and sofa. The floor was a dark oak and the walls a light shade of blue.

Suddenly there was a large popping sound causing me to jump and I turned to see Benedict holding a glass of champagne out for me. I took it, smiling at him, and we both stood there our eyes locked on each other for quite some time. All of a sudden a series of high pitched beeping filled the room and we both started. He gestured for me to follow him and we walked back down the corridor into a dining room. There was a large wooden table in the middle of the room, which had golden patterns painted along the edge. At the end of the table two places were set with a candle in the middle and a bouquet of flowers was lying on top of one of the plates.

“These are for you” He said, lifting the flowers and passing them to me. I pressed them to my nose, enjoying the sweet smell and thanked him for his kind gesture. He pulled out a seat for me and I sat down. He excused himself to go and bring the food through and I gazed around the room. The floor was still the beautiful dark wood but instead of light blue walls it was a deep shade of burgundy. Opposite me was a side table with three crystal decanters on top, each with a silver label on them indicating what the dark liquid inside was.

“Mademoiselle for this evening we will be starting with a red pepper soup, accompanied by ciabatta bread, of course everything has been made fresh this evening” Said a man with a strong French accent, I made some remark about how it sounded lovely but the man starting laughing, he was bent double clutching his sides. I saw the crease lines around his eyes as he laughed and I felt my cheeks burning as I realised what was going on, “Benedict?!” I said and he stood up, wiping a tear from his eye, he only had to look at the expression on my face before he started laughing again.

I sat back with my arms crossed across my chest and a playful pout on my lips, “You should have seen the look on your face, priceless!” He chortled and I couldn’t help but let my lips twitch into a smile.

As it turned out Benedict’s cooking was just as amazing as his acting was and we remained seated for a solid two hours just talking and laughing together. We had the soup which seemed to banish any cold from your body for starter, and then we had a chicken casserole for main where the chicken was so succulent it fell off the bone and seemed to melt in your mouth. And to top it all off he came through the door carrying a Victoria sponge cake, with a light dusting of sugar icing on top. The cake was moist and spongy and perfect in every way. As he stood up to collect the plates, I saw something which made my sides begin to ache with laughter: he had two perfect hand shapes on the back of his trousers, obviously where, after dusting the cake he had put his hands on his back to admire his handy work.

Perhaps it was the several glasses of champagne or the look on his face as he turned around on the spot trying to see what it was that was making me laugh so hard. “I swear to god Theresa, what is so funny?” he said laughing as well, as he continued twisting his head around trying to see. “That’s it” he said as wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

Suddenly I was out of my seat and staring down at the ground – and at Benedict’s bum – as he had fireman lifted me so I was now over his shoulder. I continued laughing and squealing all the way until he laid me down on the sofa and his own body loomed over me. I couldn’t even remember what I was laughing about as I gazed up into his eyes. My heart rate must have at least doubled in speed as he placed a hand either side of my head. I bit my lip teasingly and watched as he ran his tongue along his bottom lip, hell that was one turn on.

He continued lowering himself down, his eyes never leaving mine and he placed a knee on either side of my torso. His lips brushed against mine, teasing – and testing my will power- and he kissed me gently as he continued lowering himself until I could feel his whole body resting against mine. Removing his lips from mine he began to nip softly at the skin along my neck, trailing up to my ear, where he nibbled softly before whispering into my ear “Now what was it you were finding so funny” his voice was deep, husky and incredibly sexy. I could tell that he was short for breath and his eyes flickered to mine, my favourite half smile playing on his face. I just smiled up at him, innocently batting my eyelashes, something changed on his face as he looked down at me and his lips crashed down against mine, much more urgency in his kisses this time.

I couldn’t help the soft moan that escaped my lips, as his fingers began to fumble at the buttons of my blouse. I could tell that his hands were shaking slightly and it was reassuring to know that I seemed to have the same effect on him as he did on me. But not anyway near as reassuring as I began to feel the hard, growing bulge between his trousers. He pulled his lips away from mine once more and I whimpered slightly out of the loss of contact but he began trailing kisses along my collar bones and I felt my eyelids begin to feel heavy out of pleasure. He then began kissing along my cleavage, leaving a trail of wet kisses behind.

As his lips returned to mine, I heard him moan something which sounded like my name as his hand cupped my breast. He shifted slightly, wrapping his free arm around my back. And I winced because as he moved he knocked the bruise on my stomach. Instantly he pulled away looking down at me in concern. “What’s wrong? Did I do something to hurt you?” He said, his voice still husky and he was definitely short for breath this time. I shook my head and tried to ignore the pain that was now beginning to grow. His brows knitted together slightly, but he lay back down. But just as he was about to kiss me again another shooting pain coursed through my stomach. He sat back up, and stared down at me, his eyes so full of concern that I couldn’t keep eye contact and looked away embarrassed.

 I watched as his eyes trailed along my torso trying to find the source of my pain. My eyes grew wide as I saw the faintest bit of dark brown mixed with purple just visible above the waistband of my trousers. They must of slipped down as I had made sure that they were high waisted enough to cover the mark. His eyes followed mine and he saw it too. Wrinkles began to form along his forehead as he tentatively moved his hand to the button of my jeans.

“Benedi-“ I tried to say but he cut me off, raising a hand. Slowly, so it wouldn’t hurt me, he pulled the black denim down, revealing the top of my lace knickers, but more importantly the two dark bruises on my stomach. I swallowed hard trying to come up with an excuse but my mind was confused and I couldn’t think of anything at all. “Theresa… what… what’s going on?” he said, his mouth slightly open, uncertainty filling his eyes. Just at that moment my phone began to vibrate on the table and we both looked over to see the name Jamie King come up on my screen. But that wasn’t the worst bit. The worst bit was the caller ID. A picture of Jamie and me on a beach in France, our arms tightly wound around each other, filled the entire screen. The picture was taken before everything had changed and before he went away. I guess I never got a chance to change the picture.

Benedict eyes flickered from the screen to my face, to my arm, to my stomach and back to the phone. The confusion on his face replaced with sadness and he looked wounded. I tried to say something, but no words would form in my mouth. His sharp eyes bore into mine and I just lay there, speechless and watched as my world seemed to shatter before my eyes.