Chapter Forty Seven

Benedict’s POV

Understandably she didn’t want to stay at mine another night so after helping me pack my overnight bag I led her to my car. The lack of sleep was beginning to take its toll on her and I could see her building up a wall behind her eyes as she became less talkative and more distant. As I drove she pressed her cheek against the window, the way she always does, pulling her knees close to her chest. Whilst waiting for the light to turn green I watched her out of the corner of my eye; every now and again her eyelids would droop down over her eyes where they would close for a few seconds before they would snap open, followed by a few rapid blinks then they would begin to droop again. She was afraid to sleep and I can’t do anything about it. I didn’t like that.

She must have heard my sigh as she turned to me but I kept my eyes on the road as I couldn’t bear to look at the sadness in her eyes. Now it was her time to sigh as she turned completely to face the window as the light turned back to green. The drive is short but this time it seemed to take much longer as we were caught at every red light and lines of winding traffic. I pulled up to the gates of her apartment and she told me the numbers to enter into the key pad to allow us into the car park without turning to face me.

The ride in the elevator was painful and slow as well as on each floor someone got in or out adding to the tension in the enclosed space. One of the guys trailed his eyes over her exposed legs to her face causing me to shift closer to her and his eyes flickered to mine, now sizing me up, before he faced the lift doors, boosting my mood ever so slightly. Oblivious to what was going on she walked out of the lift, me following behind, unlocked the door and went into the apartment. As I shut the door a thin bit of card on the floor caught my eye, picking it up I followed her to the kitchen. She sat at the table, head in hands, “Tea?” I asked, desperately trying to think of something to say. She nodded and I went around opening cupboards finding the tea bags and turning the kettle on.

The rest of the flat was quite meaning Tina must be out as that woman would have been in here in an instant, rambling off about something. As the water boiled I picked up the piece of card “You are invited to Judith and Paul’s wedding” was printed in flowing silvery letters. I turned it over and a picture of a large man and a woman with long mousy hair and intense green eyes smiled into a camera. The kettle clicked behind me and I filled the mugs, added the milk and walked over to the table. I placed the invitation in front of her with the mug of steaming tea. “What’s this?” she asked picking it up. As she turned over the card something registered on her face and she managed an “Oh”.

“Oh?”

“It’s Oli’s mums wedding” she stated simply and I tried to keep my face calm and collected despite feeling my blood beginning to boil like the kettle. There was something about his cocky demeanour and smart mouth that just made my skin crawl. Calm Benedict. She is sitting here with you, not him, remember?

“When is it?” I asked, burning the inside of my mouth on the tea as I tried to act uninterested.

“In a few days”

“Do you want to go?”

She stopped then, looking quizzically into my eyes. “I think so” she said tentatively before adding “Would that be ok?”

“You don’t have to ask my permission” I wasn’t going to be one of those boyfriends who dictated what their girlfriends could do and who they can see “If it will make you happy I want you to go”

“Nothing is happier than a wedding” she said, looking into my eyes once more before looking away her cheeks burning.

“I couldn’t agree more” I covered my hand with hers, stroking her ring finger on her left hand, enjoying the deepening of the colour of her cheeks as she stared down at our hands.

Relief flooded through me as she began a conversation a few minutes later, enjoying watching her lips move and how she emphasised certain words with a hand gesture but only using one as the other was still in my grip. We decided we would order something for dinner as neither of us felt up to cooking and we settled down on her sofa, a blanket wrapped around us, enjoying our curry as the opening credits to the latest romantic comedy came on. She had first opted for watching ‘August Osage County’ as it came up on her Netflix under what they suggested but due to my persisted resistance, including a wrestle for the remote, we managed to agree on another film. I couldn’t imagine anything more awkward than watching a film in which my character was in love with someone else. Although it was only acting it just didn’t sit right with me, like I was betraying her in some alternate universe.

Not long into the film she put down her empty plate, having also eaten some of mine, and wrapped her arms tightly round my waist, her head laying against my stomach. A little while later we had moved so I was now lying completely down on the sofa and she was lying on top of me. She has got to be one of the most annoying person to watch a film with. Every second she would be making some remark about what the actor was saying, or wearing, or what she thought was going to happen next, or how unsuited she thought that couple was. But the longer it went on the cuter it became, watching how her face lit up, soaking in the action on the screen or the way she would silently say the lines along with actors. I found myself closing my eyes, being able to follow the story line with her running commentary and only opened them again when I heard her sniffing.

“It’s just so sad” she answered my raised eyebrows. I looked back at the screen to see a funeral scene and dug around in my pockets to pull out a handkerchief for her. She smiled gratefully as she wiped her eyes, laying back down on my chest. The next time I looked down she was fast asleep and the end credits were rolling on the screen. I stood up from the sofa, lying her back down carefully to stretch my legs momentarily. One thing I loved about her apartment were the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the busy London streets. Looking out you could see all the flashing lights as the nightlife was just starting. I picked her up from the couch walked to her room. It was strange not having to climb stairs to get to her room although it was certainly an easier journey.

I lay her down on her bed and kissed her forehead lightly. Just as I was pulling away her eyes fluttered open and she smiled peacefully up at me. Her arms wrapped around my neck pulling me back down to her. The surprise of her awakening caused me to fall down on the bed, lying on top of her. “Someone’s keen” she muttered, biting down on her plump lip. I watched in delight as her laughter faded as I ran my hands over full hips and into the curve of her waist, feeling how body trembled at the lightest touch. Her tongue flicked across her lips, her eyes never leaving mine. My lips trailed across her neck, knowing how much she loved that and how much she needed a distraction right now and I was more than happy to be that distraction. Hell if all I ever do was distract her I would be a happy man.

 Her fingers intertwined in my hair, pulling gently against the roots. I don’t know what it is but that has always made me go weak, I guess I have sensitive follicles. The moan that escaped my lips was echoed within her as she moved her legs to the side allowing our bodies to move closer together. She removed my top before returning one hand to my hair the other pressing into the muscles along my back. I dropped down off my forearms, carefully putting my full weight on her and placing my lips against hers. Nothing can compare to how this feels and I hope that I never have to compare it to anything for the rest of my life. 

(Hey guys :) Hope you are all well, i thought at the end of the next chapter i could answer any questions you have about the story so far, anything from the characters age or description from relationships. I just thought that if anyone had any questions it would be a good opportunity to make everything clear. Then again if no one asks any I'll look a bit silly :P )