Chapter Twenty Seven

Embarrassment seemed to be suffocating me; my whole body felt hot and there was a pressing feeling in my chest making it hard for me to breath. I had ruined it, I knew I had. TO be honest I knew that I would ruin it eventually; I mean having an actual relationship was so strange to me that I was going to have to mess it up at some point. I was inexperienced and I felt like a child sitting here. He sat back slightly, realisation on his face, his mouth forming a perfect ‘o’. “What… what about Jamie?” he asked with a look of disgust as he said the name Jamie. I shrugged nervously, “He always wanted to wait” I muttered and Benedict snorted in disbelief. “Wow, I didn’t see that coming. Jamie? Really?” he said, smiling lightly.
“I’m sorry” I said quietly, staring at the bed.
“What did you say?” he said, his tone more serious now, his brows knitting in the middle and leaning forward now, his face closer to mine.
“I said I was sorry, I mean I ruined everything that could have-“ He pulled me into his lap, my head against his chest and his arms wrapped tightly around me.
“Don’t you ever apologise for being strong, for doing what was right. Your first time shouldn’t be like that, it should be special something that you will always remember, because you deserve that, you deserve the very best.”
“But I… I…”
“You can tell me, it’s ok” He said his hands trailing along my spine soothingly
“I want it to be with you” I said into his chest, burying my head into his strong cologne, wanting nothing more than to vanish. I could picture the smirk on his face right now as he kissed my forehead “And I want nothing different” he said into my hair, inhaling the scent deeply. My cheeks burned even redder and my stomach began to flutter nervously just at the thought of it.

I didn’t feel nervous anymore, if anything I almost resented stopping what could have happened earlier. He held me in his arms for a while and it was bliss. He cradled me in his arms like he truly cared about me, that he wanted to protect me and never wanted to let me go. It could have been 10 minutes or an hour but he pried me away from his body way to early, saying something about getting food supplies he got up, put a shirt on and walked from the room, kissing me lightly on the lips before he left.

I lay in the bed until I heard the front door shut and ran into the bathroom, jumping into the shower. Now that I had come so close I wanted to be ready. I washed the sea water and sand from my body and hair, spending longer than usual massaging the strawberry shampoo into my hair as I knew how much he loved the smell. I shaved everywhere and got out of the shower, wrapping the fluffy towel tightly around my body. I dressed into my silk nighty, the soft fabric feeling wonderfully light on my skin, and let my hair to dry naturally. I never really bothered drying my hair as it made the curls go frizzy so I had just learned to accept the unruly waves.

I padded down into the living room, notebook in hand, and sat down on the flower patterned sofa. A few shards of light glittered through the wooden blinds creating a warm feel to the room, as the sun began to set in the sky. If you looked through the gaps then you could just make out the sea in the distance, glowing in the orange light. I tried writing a few lines of the story but found myself doodling along the margin, thinking about Benedict. The way he smiled when he knew he was right, the way he laughed his deep melodic chortle, with the creases at the eyes, the way his lips felt against mine…

The sound of the front door closing woke me up and I heard as his heavy footsteps went up stairs, followed shortly by the sound of the shower. I sat up stretching out my back, sore from the awkward position I must of fallen asleep in. A few carrier bags were in the hallway and I began to put the food away in the kitchen cupboards. The shower stopped and a long silence followed. “Benedict” I called up the stairs, “Benedict?” I called again, now climbing the short staircase, two at a time. “I was wondering what you had bought for supper, because it’s getting-“ I stopped short, words had escaped me and my mouth dropped open.

I stood in the doorway of the bedroom, eyes wide, as I took in the picture before me. Candles filled the room, of all different sizes but all a deep, dark red. They covered every surface filling the room with their sweet scents. Their flames flicked enticingly across the room, casting shadows in the corners, their light focused in the centre of the room. I swallowed hard as I looked at the bed, now strewn with rose petals, in fact the whole of the floor had petals across it and two whole roses sat on the bed too. The sound of the needle making contact with the record turned my head to the corner of the room. Benedict stood there, one arm leaning against the wall, his head resting on it, a small smirk playing on his perfectly shaped lips and his eyes twinkling in a way that only his could.