Chapter Thirty

The drive back was quiet but not in an awkward sort of way. I have always loved driving at night; seeing the stars high above me and the blur of the streetlamps as you sped past. I sat with my face pressed against the window, enjoying the cold on my cheeks, and my legs tucked beneath me, but my fingers remained intertwined with Benedict’s the whole way. I could see him looking at me every now and again and I knew how much I was dreading going back to work tomorrow.

He sighed heavily “I don’t understand why you don’t just quit” he said and I snorted so loud in response. “What?” he said chuckling “If my parents found out that I quit… I don’t even know what they would doubt it wouldn’t be good. Plus my boss is my dad’s best friend, the second I even consider handing in a resignation he would tell them. “I said in a sigh. “But what can you parents do I mean you’re an adult they can’t control your life anymore” He said and I could tell by his tone he was getting annoyed. “Trust me they would make my life miserable, everyday would just be a reminder of how much of a disappointment I am” and my voice broke slightly at the end. Benedict’s thumb trailed over my thumb soothingly. “How could anyone be disappointed in you?” He said his voice soft and sweet, his brow knit together and his eyes were wide and kind. “They still manage it though”

We continued in silence for a little longer and I listened as Benedict hummed a tune in his deep, slightly of key, voice. It funny how something so little can make my heart lift slightly. Something started vibrating and I searched around for the source. Finally I found my phone in the glove compartment with a series of missed calls and texts as I hadn’t really used it whilst we had been away. I slid the answer button across “Hello?” I said as Benedict mouthed “Who is it?” at me.

“Theresa, darling, glad to see that you finally decided to answer the phone”

“Hi mother” I said rolling my eyes

“Care to explain to me where you have been” She said her tone harsh and cold. Benedict mouthed for me to put it on speaker so I did.

“What do you mean ‘where I have been’”

“Well I went round to your flat today to be greeted by Tina who said that you were away with some man”

I cursed under my breath as Benedict smirked, his eyes focusing on the road ahead.

“Well yes I was away for a few days in Cornwall”

“With whom?”

“My boyfriend, his name is Benedict” my eyes flickered over to Benedict who was still smirking to himself and I shook my head laughing slightly.

“And when were you planning on letting us meet this Benedict?”

“Erm…Soon?” I said

“Well there’s nothing sooner than tomorrow, you can both come round for dinner” she said, her tone decisive.

“Mother there really isn’t any need to-“

“Shall we say 6:30?”

“Mum you can’t just assum-“

“Shall I cook a roast?”

“Yes that sounds lovely” I said sighing heavily

“What did you say his surname was?” Her tone was much lighter now that things were going her way

“I didn’t… Cumberbatch” Silence filled the line but soon was replaced with laughter.

“I’ll give you that one, Theresa, that was funny. I’ll talk to you tomorrow darling” She said before ending the call and I sat back in the car seat shaking my head.

“Good thing I don’t have any plans for tomorrow” He said laughing. I punched his arm playfully and he clutched his arm making “owww” noises. “You really are a fantastic actor” I said sarcastically and in reply he clutched his stomach as if wounded. I just sat back laughing “Theresa” He croaked out, beckoning me forward. I leant across the short distance of the gearbox leaning in close to his face. At the last second he turned his head and kissed me on the cheek. Now it was his turn to laugh as my cheeks burnt red on my face. “I do love how easily embarrassed you are” he said and at the word ‘love’ I felt my cheeks darken and my stomach flip nervously.

Just at that moment Benedict turned the car up a short drive, the words ‘Police Station’ glowing ominously in the night sky.