Chapter Thirty Seven

Benedict. No. Oh God no. I leapt up from the cushions as fast as I could. “Tess wait” Oli called, desperately trying to grab at my hand. “What Oli” I snapped at him in my haste to get downstairs. His eyes flashed with something I couldn’t read. “What about us Tess, it’s not too late”
“It is to late Oli, its seven years to late”
“Wait, what do you mean”
“What I mean Oli is that you left me and started going out with that girl Marie within only a few months, you made me feel like a fool” I didn’t even know that I felt this way until now, until I realised that the man I love is slipping away from me.
“Marie? What are you even talking about”
“So that’s what’s important here. You are going to ignore everything that I just said.”
“No I’m sorry I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry Tess I really am, please we can make this work” He took my hand in his “It will be just like old times but this time we won’t need to hide our feelings anymore, we can go on dates, proper dates, not just picnics on the conservatory roof” I laughed at the memory, that certainly felt like a real date to me… No what am I doing.

I pulled my hand back and watched as his face fell, the temperature seemed to have fallen about 10 degrees, the chill reminded me of the date on the roof. No stop it. “I’m sorry Oli” I said before turning to run down the stairs, leaving a deflated looking Oli behind. I took the stairs three at a time nearly falling flat on my face a few times but I continued to run “Benedict!” I called out, running into each room by turn. Why was this house so God damn big!

What was that? No. Please no. A car door. I turned back down onto the main stairs tripping over my feet, please Benedict please. I slid across the entrance way sliding into the door. My hands are too clammy to get a grip on the door and the handle slips out of my hand numerous times. The door flew open just in time to see the red car pulling out of the driveway and my heart fell. It fell as though to a place where no one would ever return from. “Benedict” I muttered. Wait. A red car. Red not black. Red.

I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs. But then I realised Benedict was still here, he was still here thinking… well god knows what he is thinking about me right now. Benedict, oh Benedict where are you. I opened a last door, the curtains were drawn and only a slither of moonlight peeped through the gap. Sat in the corner, his shoulders hunched down, his back to me, was Benedict.