Chapter Thirty Five

Benedict’s POV

I fiddled aimlessly with an ornament on her shelf avoiding making eye contact with Theresa despite me feeling her eyes on me. The bulging eyes on the little model and the wide grin seemed to be mocking me as moved it side to side, the eyes flittering to the sides. “So you know Oli well?” I asked, trying to keep my voice casual, my tone light. A few moments passed and the silence seemed to be thickening around me. “Err, its complicated I guess” she said picking at her fingernails.

Complicated. Why are things always complicated with us? What does that even mean? Images of his lips against hers flashed before my eyes and I felt a stinging pain in my hand and I realised I had gripped the toy tightly in my hand leaving an imprint of the shape on my palm. But it wasn’t only my palm that began to hurt “Oh I see” I mutter, turning my back completely to her, trying to hide the emotion from my voice. I waited for her to say something, help me to understand what she was meaning but as I looked at her reflection in one of the trophies she stood still, chewing the inside of her cheek, her eyes darting between me and the door. The door which he had left through.

God damn it. Who even is he? Why did he have to come in and ruin such a perfect moment. It’s not that I’m jealous… Ok maybe I am. I turned on my heel to look at Theresa, or Tess as he had called her, and her eyes were wide, confused, as she continued to bite at her cheek. I stared at her, silently pleasing her with my eyes to explain what was going on so I didn’t feel like an outsider anymore.

She continued twitching her mouth from side to side, a nervous trait of hers that I had noticed, but why was she nervous? “Theresa?” I asked but my voice came out harsher than I intended and her eyes met mine and they were so hard to read, which was strange because usually I understood her so well it was something that I had always liked and now I felt that she was holding something from me. “Yes” She answered quietly and stubbornly clearly ignoring the tall, handsomely tanned skin dark haired elephant that recently left the room. I widened my eyed encouraging her to talk to me but she just clicked her tongue, why is she being like this.

I swallowed my pride “How do you know him?” I asked, sitting back on the bed but she remained standing, not moving closer to me. “Erm” She began, her eyes darting side to side, avoiding mine. “Well Oli is Derek’s best friend, they have known each other since they were in primary school…” She began rambling. “To you, who is he to you” I said cutting her off. “What do you mean?” She said, and I rolled my eyes, patience wearing thin as she continued to avoid the subject. “What I mean is what is your history together?” I said slowly and her eyes widened like a rabbit caught in the headlights, confirming my suspicions. Again images of his hands on her body trailed through my mind and I had to mentally slap myself before I got too worked up about this.

“Well I guess… You see… ermm… well”

“Theresa” I said again

“Oli and I used to have a thing together, I guess.”

“You guess?”

Her cheeks were burning red right now and I wanted nothing more than to reach cup her gorgeous face in my hands and make them burn even brighter but there is something not quite right about her being so secretive about their past. Obviously I assumed she had other boyfriends the same that I had other girlfriends but they should be in the past and I know that I have no attachment left to any of them but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

“It’s complicated” she said again

“stop saying that”

“Well what do you want me to say” She said throwing her arms in the air

“I want to know why you’re being so… weird about him”

“Weird?” she said raising an eyebrow and now it was my turn to blush

“Yes weird, you were like the Cheshire cat you were grinning at him so much”

“So now I’m not allowed to smile” her arms crossed defensively across her chest

“What, no that’s not what I meant”

“Well what did you mean?”

“I mean what is going on between you two?”

“Going on?”

“Stop avoiding my question” I said, standing up to begin to walk around the room

“Why do you want to know so badly?”

“You’re still avoiding it” my voice sounded harsh and cold but I was getting very annoyed by now

“Fine! We used to date, kind of, and he was probably my first love” her eyes flew wide at the last bit, and she clutched her hands around her mouth as though trying to stop anything else from slipping out.

I swallowed hard and turned away from her to continue pacing. It’s not that im annoyed that she has loved anyone else, it’s just that he is still here and clearly still has feelings for her, his eyes never left her and I saw the way he was looking at her.

“How can you ‘kind of’ date someone?”

“Well we were young and it was never official because I didn’t think my parents would approve and then he went away so we decided to end it”

Like some sort of cheesy chick flick images began rolling through my mind; of them sneaking around, having secret dates, hiding the way… the way they felt about each other from her parents.

“Benedict?” She said quietly

“What” I sighed turning back around.

“I don’t know” she said and continued chewing her lip

I sat back down on the bed. “Do you still have feelings for him?” I asked quietly

“What” She spluttered. That is definitely not what I wanted to here.

“Do you still have feelings for him, it’s quite a simple question”

“No… Well not in that way, sure as a friend” Great. “I’ve known him my whole life I can’t drop feelings like that in an instant, and you can’t expect me too can you?”

“No”

Yes.

“Well stop behaving like some overprotective, jealous boyfriend”

“At least you’ve remembered I’m your boyfriend now” I snapped back at her

“How can you even say that”

“Oh I don’t know that hug lasted rather long and you two looked pretty cosy in your own little world together” Stop now Benedict, I thought to myself. I knew I was over reacting but this day had been stressful enough. I had wanted to make such a good impression to her parents because I knew how much the judged her and I had been nervous as hell, the last thing I needed was him turning up.

She stood shaking her head a look of disbelief on her face. How had she made me feel like the bad guy? I wasn’t was I? “Cosy” She repeated my word

“Yes cosy” I said again

“That’s ridiculous”

“You should of seen the two of you”

She clicked her tongue again “You would of made a cute couple, shame he dumped you” I said the words before I had a chance to think. Hurt crossed her face and I wanted to scoop her in my arms and apologise but my pride got in the way. “Is that what you think then?” her eyes were narrowing, her voice emotionless.

“Yes”

No.

“Well maybe it is a shame because then I would never of met you” with that she turned at walked calmly, too calmly, from the room leaving me feeling very alone and very, very stupid.

(Hi guys, thank you so much for your support i really love getting your tweets and reading your comments so please continue doing that as it is lovely to hear your opinions and get advise. Hope you are well :)