Chapter Twenty Nine

Cool, fresh air filled the room, the sunlight tickling my eyelids. I stretched my arms to the side, keeping my eyes closed, realising a stiffness in jaw as my head rested against something hard. “Good morning love” a soft voice muttered by my ear, his voice also thick with sleep. Memories of last night flooded through me and I couldn’t help smiling into Benedict’s warm chest. My eyes fluttered open and they met his beautiful blue eyes, a lazy smile on his face too. He kisses my forehead, his fingers trailing along my bare arms sending shivers through my body.

“What do you want to do today” he said, his voice quiet and sweet. A question that had been nagging in the back of my mind since we got here seemed to be banging against my skull, urging its way out. “I don’t mind, what do you want to do” I replied, inhaling his scent. “I’m happy right here” he said and I could imagine his smirk at the way my cheeks were now blushing. “Benedict” I said quietly, half hoping that he wouldn’t hear me for fear of ruining this perfect moment. The sun was high in the sky and I could hear the soft calls of the birds outside.
“Mmmmhhhhmmmm” He replied sleepily
“Why erm… I mean… Why did you take me away?”

Silence filled the bedroom. I counted to 60 in time with his heart beats. I felt his chest rise beneath my head as he swallowed hard. I sat up, sitting cross legged in his lap, staring into his face. He looked just as perfect as always in the morning. His hair was slightly messy, the back sticking up at funny angles, his curls resting at the top of his forehead. His mouth twitched from side to as if debating about what he should say. I cocked my head to the side, waiting for him to answer, eyebrows raised in an encouraging way.

He took a deep breath and spoke. He told me about how Jamie had taken him away but he had gotten away. He repeated over and over that it was going to be ok but his voice sounded distant. The blood in my veins felt cold, my skin was clammy, my breathing was short and a tight feeling was slowly spreading across my chest. I knew what I had to do.

I got up and reached for my bag, tears already threatening to spill down my cheeks. I shoved a t-shirt on over my head and pulled on a pair of knickers before shoving all my clothes into my bag. Obviously realising what I was doing, Benedict hastily jumped out of bed and shoved his boxers on. My clothes were all ready now as I headed towards the door. Benedict stood in front of it, blocking my way, his eyes wide darting left and right and his mouth slightly open. “Benedict please move out of my way” I said as calmly as I could.

He began to shake his head slowly, side to side in disbelief. “What are you doing?” He said, his voice cracking slightly.
“I need to leave”
“No… You don’t.”
“Yes I do”
“Theresa you can’t do this” He said, his voice was pleading
“Yes I do” I said again, my voice louder this time. “Don’t you see? You are not safe with me! All I do is bring you pain and suffering. You were kidnapped for crying out loud! I can’t live with myself knowing that me being with you is just bring you closer to danger”
“But you could live without me?” he asked, his voice barely audible.

I looked into his eyes at that point he had to know how I felt about him. “No of course I can’t” I admitted after searching his eyes. I knew that if I couldn’t leave, I was too selfish for that. “Then don’t leave, please don’t leave me Theresa. Not now, not after everything. We will sort this out ok. We will sort this out together.” Slowly he took my bag from my arms and wrapped his arms around my trembling body. The safety I felt with his arms around me was indescribable, as long as he was with me I felt like I could do anything.

“We will sort this out” He said again, kissing my head. “Promise?” I said. His thumb wiped a tear from my cheek, his perfect half smile on his lips. “Promise”.