Chapter Thirty Six

Theresa’s POV

It didn’t feel real. Fighting with Benedict over something as stupid as this was not something I ever imagined happening. He was over reacting. Wasn’t he? I don’t still have feelings I for Oli. Do I? Oh I don’t know it’s so strange to see him again after so many years it just brought back so many memories. When we were going out I didn’t have anyone to talk to about it so I guess all those feelings just got pent up inside me. Maybe it’s me who is over reacting. Everything with Oli was so easy but then life then was easy I was only 17 and now I have Benedict who is every girls dream and more. So why am I even questioning this.

I sighed as I walked and came to a stop at the floor to ceiling window that overlooked the bare countryside, trees scattered across the green and brown fields, the sun setting in the sky casting an orange glow. I hadn’t even noticed where I had walked to. Of course my subconscious had taken me to the attic. I looked around at the room and it was just how I remembered it. It was mainly bare as it stretched across the majority of the house. The walls were a soft cream with a matching, fluffy carpet separated by a panel of black running along the skirting board. The room was filled with light due to the large windows and a few sofas sat in an open square with a table between them. The far end was where I was heading. The roof slopes at an angle here with the skylights letting in a small amount of light. Pilled beneath were cushions of all different shapes and sizes and even a few of my favourite books.

I slumped down into the pillows, feeling my body sink into the feathers, embracing the familiar sensation. I had spent so many hours in here, reading, working, writing. I ran my fingers over the books piled up next to me, scattering dust, all my favourites were up here from Harry Potter to Wuthering Heights. “I thought you would be in here” he said quietly, one arm resting against the wall his head against his biceps and the lopsided grin on his face. His green eyes seemed to be shining, the stars reflected back in his eyes. “Hey Oli” I said quietly, his presence only reminding me of the argument.

“Is everything OK you look kind of down” he said closing the distance between us in two of his long strides and slumped down in the cushions as well. “Yeah I’m fine” I replied but after a few moments of silence I looked up to see him pulling a raised eyebrow face at me and I couldn’t help but giggle. “It’s nothing honestly. What did you want to talk to me about earlier?” I asked and he held my gaze for a few moment before deciding to drop whatever he was thinking. “Well mum is getting married in the summer, she found someone and he’s this really great guy and of course your family is invited and I want you to be there especially” he rambled very quickly.

“That’s fantastic!” I squealed clutching his hands in mine “I’m so happy for her” in unison we both looked down at our hands and let go with awkward laughter. It suddenly felt hot in here as I tried to avoid eye contact with him. My head felt heavy and confused, I didn’t know what I was feeling at the moment and arguing with Benedict was definitely not helping. I was suddenly very aware of minty breath on my face. I looked up through my eyelashes and saw his familiar emerald eyes only inches from my face. His breath was shallow, his hot breath heating my skin.

I swallowed hard, my heart racing so many memories hitting me at once. “Oli” I said slowly, pulling back but not soon enough as I heard footsteps descending the stairs, followed by a slam of a door downstairs.