Chapter Forty Eight

Theresa’s POV

“Why can’t you tell me where we are going?” I jokingly whined as we boarded another tube. Today was our 6 month anniversary and, despite both agreeing not to get each other presents, I had still awoken this morning to a bouquet of roses and breakfast in bed. I have to admit I was rather impressed considering we had spent the night at mine due to the weird dream/not dream. No I wasn’t going to let that get in the way of today. After breakfast he told me to get dressed and we walked to the train station whilst he refused to tell me where we were going, despite my constant badgering.

“Because it’s a surprise” He said, helping me across the gap between the platform and the tube.
“I don’t like surprises” I said, crossing my arms and sticking my bottom lip out. He just laughed down at me, breaking through my pout. If truth be told I did love it. I always thought that buying anniversary presents, especially monthly ones, were silly and I still do. Personally I don’t need someone to spend vast amounts of money on me to make me feel special. However doing something together on your anniversary I guess is different. The time and planning that he must have gone through to make this special means more to me than a watch or designer bag. Although I did still feel weird that it was for our 6 month and not a year or something but I wasn’t going to tell him that, and besides I was excited.

He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into his chest as the tube started moving. Despite being nearly 5 foot 9 I could rest my head against his chest, listening to the beating of his heart. I liked the way he would kiss the top of my head or run his fingers along my arms. It was the little signs that showed that he cared, even subconsciously.

 I was aware of a lot of whispering and pointing in our direction and the occasional person asking for a photo with him, which I was awkwardly the photographer for. I admired the way that he smiled politely for them all, engaging in their conversations and never getting fed up. He turned to see me just smiling up at him “What?” he said, cupping my face in his hands, his thumbs in my dimples. “You’re pretty amazing” I goofily said up at him. He placed a kiss on my head “Still not telling you where we are going” he muttered into my hair. Darn it.

We got off the tube a few stations down the line and followed the crowds of people onto the escalator. By standing on the step above him I was able to look down into his eyes, instead of looking up into them, and I watched as he tilted his head to the side as he looked up at me, obviously curious to why I was just staring down at him. “Watch your step” he said, catching me before I tripped over the end of the escalator, I guess facing the right direction would of helped but I always felt this pull towards him, even if we are far apart there’s just this ache for him. He clouds my every thought and, although I would never stop him from going out, the time apart from him wasn’t the same.

We exited into the station onto the London roads, the sun danced across the glass windows and shone from passing cars. I love spring. There was still a chill in the air which gave me all the more reason to walk closer to Benedict. “Hang on” he said as he stopped and began rummaging through his rucksack. He pulled out a flat cap and pulled it on over his head. As he began walking I remained still and he stopped a few metres ahead to stare back at me which caused the hat to twist to the side. That was enough for me. I erupted in laughter and his dumbfound expression only made it worse. My sides were aching and people were looking at me and even Benedict was laughing along, the sound was so deep and melodic. “Look I know it’s not that stylish but unless you want people stopping me every few seconds it’s the only way”
“Ok grandpa lets go” I said walking back up to him.

He led me through a few more streets until we stopped outside a majestic building. Six marble pillars stood supporting the triangular roof. Roman in design, immense in size and intricate in design with carved sculptures etched into the white stone, we stood before the Royal Opera House. “Wow.” Was all I could say as I took in the beauty of the building? “I know” he said, wrapping his arm around my waist. Suddenly excitement took over and I grabbed his hand, pulling him up the stairs. He laughed as he trailed after me, throwing his head back. The interior was just as outstanding as the exterior; high rising ceilings painted with scenes of cherubs domed over each of the separate rooms. I twirled slowly on the spot, taking in the display above us. It was only then that I realised how many other people were in here. “Ladies and gentlemen please take your seats” a lady’s voice came over the tannoy. I turned to see Benedict smiling sheepishly at me, as he collected an envelope from behind the desk. “You didn’t…” I said as my mouth fell open. “Oh but I did” he said walking to the stairs to the auditorium.

Our seats were directly in the middle of the royal circle and I stared down at all the people on the level below us, feeling like a child as I clung to the railing. As the lights dimmed my stomach erupted into butterflies and I perched on the edge of my seat, to get as close to the stage as possible. “Too the best 6 months of my life” he whispered in my ear, as he tapped his water bottle against mine like a toast. “You are incredible” I said, kissing his cheek “and I love you and I look forward to spending more time with you, especially if they have been amazing as these last months have been” I rambled nervously.

“Ssshhh” came a voice beside me as the curtain began to raise, revealing a lone male dancer to start the ballet performance.

(Hey everyone J so as promised I will answer questions about the story. I was so amazed by all your DMs and it means a lot to me so thank you.

The most common question was about Theresa’s ‘dream’ in the last chapters. Firstly Benedict wasn’t dreaming and I’m not revealing whether Theresa was or wasn’t but even she isn’t sure at this stage.

Another question was about their ages. Theresa is approaching 30 and Benedict in this is younger than he is in real life, more around 35. Theresa is tall, around 5 foot 9.5 and has curly dark auburn hair, like the colour of copper is how I imagine it. Her eyes are hazel and she has a muscular frame because of her dance. (If you don’t know what Benedict looks like erm where have you been living for the last 10 years?)

The others were random odd questions so:
1. they have not moved in together but a few nights a week together
2. I imagine that they go on dates quite often in the week, especially when Benedict is filming, and just because I don’t write about every date doesn’t mean there haven’t been more.
3. Jamie is still in hospital.
4. The wedding will be next chapter.
5. She does love her parents and they do love her but they are very traditional in their views and put a lot of pressure on her which I think anyone would find aggravating.
6. Theresa doesn’t really have many friends other than Tina, just because she hated her job and spent a lot of time dancing. But she keeps in touch with the people she met at the party, the crew from Sherlock.
7. The story is more than half way through and yes I have planned where it is going (vaguely… ;)
8. I can’t image myself pursuing writing as a career but I guess it is a possibility.

I think that was all of them. If you have anymore don’t hesitate to message me my twitter is @ourbenedictcumb I only have 2 exams left which means we are closer to regular updates once again! Love you all!