Chapter Thirty Eight

“Benedict” I muttered, shutting the door behind me. He didn’t move or respond to me, if anything his shoulders seemed to slump lower down, his head bowed. “Benedict please it’s not what you think” I said walking towards him. My dad’s office was furnished with a lot of dark wooded furniture casting odd shadows around the room. “Benedict please” I rested my hand across his back but he shrugged it off. Please Benedict don't do this to me, I silently pleaded. I don't know what i would do if he refused to believe me. I wouldn't blame him if he did, I can only imagine what it must of looked like with Oli and I so close together. I pictured seeing Benedict sitting with some blonde beauty, their faces inches apart, captivated in their own little world and my heart broke at the thought.

“Benedict say something please” my voice was begging now.

“What do you want me to say” He said, his voice alarmingly emotionless and he turned around and leant against the desk, his face half in shadow emphasising his high cheekbones.

“Tell me what you’re thinking”

“You don’t want to hear what I’m thinking”

“Yes I do”

“I’m thinking that you just kissed someone else. You just kissed someone despite that you are in a relationship with me, who, in case you forgot, was in the same house.”

“No Benedict you-”

“What are you going to say that ‘I don’t understand’ that you and Oli have something ‘really special’”

“Benedi-”

“Well I thought that we had something special”

“We do Benedict please just let me”

“Clearly not, see for me having something special means that you won’t go around kissing other people. So you obviously lied about having something special so did you lie about loving me as well” his voice broke at the end and a lock of his hair fell forward onto his forehead.

“No of course I didn’t, I do love you” He broke eye contact with me “And I didn’t kiss him. No Benedict I really didn’t, I couldn’t do that, and I would never do that. You think I would?”

“No I didn’t, but it’s quite hard to not think that when I see your face inches from his”

“No I know, I’m sorry I’m so sorry, I didn’t kiss him. I could never do that to you, to us” I pushed the curl back on his head standing between his legs, his eyes fluttering slightly at my touch “Because I don’t love him, i love you, I love you so much” his eyes still weren’t meeting mine “The way you smile, especially your half smile” my fingers traced the space on his cheek where the dimple would appear “The way you agreed to meet my family. The way you make me feel, just by looking at me. Please Benedict look at me” His arm trailed around my waist as his eyes met mine, they were so kind and gentle, all the ice seemed to have melted. The familiar flutter in my stomach returned as his eyes flittered from my lips to my eyes.

“I’m sorry too, I overreacted I guess I’m just scared of losing you” his voice was quiet with his honesty.

“Well I don’t plan on going anywhere, I like it just here” I said gesturing to where I was standing

“And why is that” Benedict said playfully, his lips brushing against mine as his arm around my waist slid lower down my back. Any argument was instantly forgotten. I closed all distance between us, my arms wrapping around his neck and I trailed kisses along his perfect jawline “Because I have you exactly where I want you” I whispered into his ear. My favourite smug grin slowly appeared on his face before his lips hit mine.