Chapter Forty Three

Shock caused me to freeze, I couldn’t speak or move and before I regained control of my body Jamie had slid the partition of the cab across, separating me from any hope of help. “Hello Theresa” he said, his voice thick with venom. I took deep breaths but in vain as the red light started glowing showing that the cab doors were now locked and are controlled by the driver. There was nothing I could do.

“I said hello Theresa” warning bells started ringing in my head and I mentally slapped myself for being so careless with my behaviour around him.
“Hello James” I replied, watching as his eyes flashed at my use of his actual name “What have I told you about calling me James!” memories flooded to my mind and I tried to push them away, I needed a clear head to keep myself calm. Now is not a good time to wind him up.

“Have you missed me?” he said, his expression unreadable as always. I remained silent and he grabbed my hand pushing the pressure point in the muscle of my thumb. “I said have you missed me? Because you have been very hard to pin down the last few days, especially after your little visit to the police office.” The pain was beginning to get intolerable and my eyes grew wide of his mention of the police and our failed attempt to get them to intervene “Oh yes Theresa, I have been keeping an eye on you but you managed to slip from my view but I found you again, I will always find you again.” His large, straight white teeth flashed in a half snarl half smile, his eyes maddened and wide, rimmed by large dark circles.

He released my hand and I cowered into the corner, clutching my hand tightly and his nostrils flared as he looked down at me, like a master at his disobedient puppy. “So where have you been, sleeping with that man like the slut that you are?” his voice remained harsh but his eyes shifted slightly, uncertainty behind them. “I don’t really see why it’s any concern of yours” I said, regaining my confidence as the pain subsided. He tilted his head back on the seat, pinching the bridge of his nose, another sign of his anger. “It is a concern of mine because you are mine and only mine” he said slowly, his voice low and domineering. Silence filled the cab as we continued driving.

“So you have slept with him then” he asked and in that short moment he sounded like the Jamie that I had fallen in love with all those years ago. Once again the uncertainty was back in his eyes and, taken aback by his sudden change in tone, I nodded my head in reply. For a split second I almost felt pity for him, he looked so broken which was hardly surprising considering his past.

But then it was gone. The demon within him took control and the look on his face was enough to make my knees feel weak and a slight tremor spread through me. His head turned so sharply towards me that his hair fell forward on his face, casting shadows around his eyes and in the darkness of the rapidly approaching night time he looked possessed. My palms began to feel clammy and a cold sweat began clinging to my shirt along my back and I pushed myself as far into the door as I could, bringing my knees up to my chest as a form of defence. Both hands wrapped around my ankles and his hands began sliding up my legs slowly. I tried lashing out but his grip was too strong, forcing my legs to remain still. I opened my mouth to scream for help but I heard the sound of his hand against my cheek before I felt it. The stinging erupted on my face, numbing my mouth, tears prickling in my eyes.

“You are no longer pure for me yet you still dare to disobey me” he said, clamping one hand across my mouth, managing to hold my legs down in one hand. I tried to thrash from side to side but my seatbelt restricted all movement and hope was slowly beginning to fade. Night had fallen now and with no lights on within the compartment there was no hope that anyone would be able to see through the tinted windows. He moved so one of his knees crushed down on my legs and his hand continued to snake up my leg. By the time it reached the hem of my skirt my body hadn’t started to shake quite violently.

“Look at the way your body craves my touch” he whispered and tears began falling down my cheeks, clouding my vision. “Tell me that you want me” he said removing his hand from my mouth. “Help!” I began to scream but his hand connected with my cheek once more, causing me to taste blood as I had bitten down on my tongue. “I said tell me that you want me” he said again, his snarl across his ironically handsome face. I remained silent, not giving into him. Once more he slapped my face and again, asking me to tell him that I wanted him, that I needed him and I refused again and again.

His eyes were beginning to widen once more with each of his unanswered demands. His body loomed over mine, his large muscles straining his shirt and I continued to refuse him. I was done with him, I would not give in to him anymore. “Tell me that you love me” he said but his voice was broken, barely audible. He climbed off me muttering “Tell me that you need me, tell me that you love me” over and over again.

This was part of his plan it had to be. But the more I looked at him, now examining his shaking hands still repeating the words over, I realised that it couldn’t be. “You have to love me. You have to” he said before violent sobs began to shake through his body. I didn’t know what to do. I daren’t touch him but I felt the need to comfort him as his body shook not only from the sobs. It was then I noticed that he wasn’t dressed nearly as well as he used to. No designer logos on his clothes, no flashy watch on his wrist or rings on his fingers. He reached into his pocket pulling out a dirty handkerchief and a small glass container rolled across the floor. I picked it up and noticed it was empty. The sticker on it was labelled “Fluoxetine (Prozac)” followed by a large series of small print which I couldn’t read in this light. I shoved the bottle into my purse which was lying on the floor and watched as he continued to shake although the sobbing had died down.

When he looked up his skin was incredibly pale, replacing his usual tanned features, and was coated in sweat. His eyes were darting side to side and he seemed to notice me as though for the first time. “Tessie” he said extending a pleading hand towards me and I automatically recoiled from his touch. No matter how pathetic he looked I was not going to give in to him still unsure whether this was some sick plan. At my flinch he started sobbing again staring down at his hand and collapsed onto the floor in his cries. I slid the partition open “You need to take us to the nearest hospital right away” The driver seemed to register the tone of my voice as he nodded immediately and began to drive much faster.

Fortunately we weren’t too far and pulled into the car park of Kings Hospital. I paid the driver before trying to support Jamie enough to walk, but his weight was too much for me and my knees buckled beneath me. The driver climbed out of the compartment and ran to my side. He was a bald, middle age man but had kind eyes and helped me to pick up Jamie and support him into the A and E part of the hospital. Jamie’s eyes were now rolled back, only the whites showing and the weight around my shoulders was beginning to decrease. “Help, somebody help, you have to help!” I called as soon as we got to the door. Immediately doctors and nurses appeared and laid him down on a bed before escorting him off, talking in low voices. The cabbie had already vanished and I don’t blame him because no one would want to be asked to be a witness to something like this.

They made me fill in a form with his details and any knowledge I had. I wrote the name of the drug on the paper but kept the bottle tucked in my bag. I then left the hospital as fast as I could, not wanting to be involved any further. I sat down on a wooden bench on the pavement and enjoyed the cool air soothing my burning face. I felt my bag vibrating and pulled out my phone. Benedict. Oh god. Numerous miss calls and texts filled my screen as I answered the call. “Theresa, Theresa are you alright? Tell me you are ok, please. Where are you” he rambled, panic clear in his voice. That was enough to release the sobs I had been with holding and I managed to stutter where I was before resting my head in my hands allowing the sobs to fall as I waited for him to come.