Chapter Thirty One

“These complaints usually take a few days to be processed and then, if deemed appropriate, a police investigation will start, understand?” We both nodded at the slim police officer called Garrett, who had obviously just been away on holiday as his skin seemed to be glowing. He walked out of the room and we heard the door lock click as he walked away.

“This is all rather serious, I feel like a criminal or something” I said to Benedict as I looked around the bare square room, furnished with only the four chairs around a table and a single lamp swinging from the ceiling. “Yes but then again you have been a very bad girl” His voice was low and husky in my ear, his breath hot on my neck as he trailed kisses along it. Heat seemed to rise like a flame through my body and I could feel my cheeks burning instantly. I swallowed nervously as I tried to think of something to say but then again it’s not as if dirty talk is really an area of my expertise.

Thankfully I heard the heavy footsteps of the police officer approaching but it sounded like he wasn’t alone this time. The door clicked open and Benedict removed his head from my neck, but the new officer behind him still gave me a knowing look as he tried to hide his smile. Garrett sat down and so did Joe (I saw his name on his paperwork, Benedict would be proud of my Sherlock deductions) but both of them suddenly looked very serious. Silence filled the room and a palpable tension soon began to rise.

“Gentlemen is there a problem?” Benedict asked in a very serious and business like tone which so unlike his usual voice that I had to stop myself from laughing. “We run the paper work through the computer” Joe said after clearing his throat “Where it registers the names of those being questioned and your so called ‘Jamie King’ returned no results.”

“No” I said, my voice quiet as my brain registered what he had just said. I could see Benedict’s hands curl into fists beneath the table as a little bulge began pulsing at his temple. “Now I don’t know whether you are aware how valuable police time is-“

“Run it again” Benedict said, his voice was dark and full of hatred. “I’m sorry sir but these systems are” Garrett tried but Benedict’s fist connected with the table, stopping him in his tracks “Do you not understand what this man has done, what he is capable of doing?”

“I’m sorry sir, perhaps when you know this man’s true identity you can come back and do it again” said Garrett, his tone dismissive as he stood up and opened the door for us to walk out. “And what if it’s too late, what if by that time he has killed us all huh what are you going to do then” Benedict was fuming by this point as he spat out his final words. “Benedict” I said quietly trying to comfort him by placing my hand on his shoulder but he shook me off and I looked at the floor as embarrassment flooded through me.

“Sir I’m sorry but there really is nothing more we can do at this stage.” Said Joe, as we walked back towards the car. I slid into the seat and stared out the window, feeling hurt and more than a little bit confused. “God dammit” he said as he slammed his hands down onto the steering wheel. I had never seen him so angry and I was still annoyed at his dismissal earlier so continued to stare out of the window as the London lights flashed past. “How is he always one bloody step ahead of us” he muttered. The car journey remained in silence but it was a very uncomfortable silence and the moment the engine switched off I climbed out of the car, grabbing my bag from the boot and walked towards his front door.

He walked through to his living room and I followed a few steps behind him. He walked over to the crystal decanter in the corner of the room and poured himself a glass of scotch whilst I stood awkwardly by the stairs. “It’s just infuriating he makes me so angry”

“Yes well you’ve made that perfectly clear haven’t you” I snapped back although immediately wishing I hadn’t.

“What does that even mean”

“You were screaming at those police officers earlier and-“

“Oh come on did you not see the way they clearly thought we had made it all up”

“I was there Benedict, of course I saw it”

Well then stop acting as if”

“Acting as if what?”

“I don’t know as if this doesn’t even affect us or something”

“How can you even say that” I said, throwing my hands in the air in disbelief as I walked towards him “Of course I bloody well know what it means surprisingly enough I know him quite well but unlike you I don’t feel the need to take out my anger on those around me” I said, stopping just in front of him, close enough to smell his fabric softener mixed with his expensive cologne, close enough to be able to hear his sharp breaths and see the way his eyes softened as they looked down into mine.

“I’m sorry” He said quietly, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear but his fingers lingered on my cheeks “It’s not fair of me to act like this, I know that, but knowing how that guy has hurt you just makes me so angry. No one should be able to hurt you like that and I will make sure that they never do again.” His eyes were wide and honest as he spoke and his voice seemed to have calmed ever so slightly. I wrapped my arms around his neck to pull him closer to me as his lips crashed against mine. As the kiss deepened his aggression slowly began to fade          but there was still an intoxicating sense of urgency that got my blood pumping fast around my body as he led me towards the stairs.

Benedict’s bedroom wasn’t what I expected it to be like but suited him well when I came here to pack his bag I took the clothes from his utility room as they were freshly laundered. The walls were white but the curtains and bed sheets were black on his modern sleigh bed with a black leather headboard. Dark wooded cupboards lined one wall and a flat screen TV hung to the wall. I could see photos on the side board of group pictures but didn’t have time to look at them as Benedict led me towards the bed. I could taste the bitter, sharp alcohol on his lips and tongue and his eyes locked onto mine, a much calmer look on his face, his eyes full of admiration.

Later as I lay against his bare chest, listening to his rapid breaths slow down I felt completely stress free… until I remembered our plans for tomorrow. “Benedict” I said quietly, turning over and propping my head up so I could look into his face. He opened one eye “Mmhhmmm”

“You know you don’t have to come along to meet my parents, I mean it’s not going to be the most exciting day and if you have plans or something, really it’s fine”

He smiled at me lazily as he trailed a finger along my spine “Why wouldn’t I want to meet the woman who brought the girl I love into this world?” he asked but his lips twitched at the end, obviously aware of how cheesy he sounded. I burst out laughing as he pouted playfully “I try and be romantic and I just get laughed at” He said, trying to keep a straight face. I snorted again “Right that’s it” he said as he flipped us over so he was hovering above me and he began blowing raspberries on  my stomach, the vibrations causing me to laugh uncontrollably. “Benedict… Bene… Please” I managed to choke out between laughs, my stomach hurting.

As he looked up to take a breath I pointed out to the dark sky “Look!” I shouted. I couldn’t believe he fell for it and I jumped up from the bed, grabbing a towel that was by his bed to cover myself as I ran from his room. “Theresa… why you little minx” he called after me. I had never been upstairs in his house and I ran aimlessly into the room at the end of the hall. The room was a giant study, with bookshelves and leather armchairs scattered around. I stood against the wall holding my breath as I heard him plod along the corridor. I felt like a child playing hide and seek but this time the prospect of being caught was much more enticing…