Chapter Twenty Three

The journey took a little over two hours and we landed a mile away from my apartment. I thanked Chris endlessly before he took off again. I got the feeling that I would be owing a few favours for quite some time.

The night air was cool, the sky pitch black and the stars and moon illuminated my short walk home. It was strange seeing so many stars, especially with the polluting London air, but tonight they shone brighter and clearer than I had ever seen them before. I remembered being on a camping holiday with my dad and him telling me all about the plough and the Big Dipper and all the other constellations, we had hot chocolate and sat around a camp fire. Those were brilliant days which gave me a real chance to bond with dad. I'd have to take Theresa camping one time I’m sure she would love it and then we could sit around a fire and I could teach her about the stars, all wrapped up in blankets.

My apartment was very dark, no lights were on and I stumbled blindly through the rooms, peering in each one to see where she was. I walked through to the lounge and it was only on a second glance that I saw her. She was wrapped up in a blanket, lying on the sofa fast asleep her phone held tightly in her hand. She looked so peaceful; all lines gone from her flawless face and her chest rising and falling steadily, disturbed only when she muttered something in her sleep.

I picked up the two duffel bags from the end of the sofa, swung them over my shoulder and then quietly as I could approached the sofa. With one hand beneath her knees and the other supporting her head I carefully picked her up.

"Benedict?" She muttered quietly, still half asleep.

"Yes it's me... Sshhh now go back to sleep, everything fine I'm here"

She nodded feebly before closing her eyes once more and took the lapel of my shirt in her little fist mumbling something all the while. I grabbed my car keys and wallet from the bowl by the door, my hand still under her head, and shut the door with my foot.

The stairs were the hardest bit as I was terrified that I would fall and hurt her but thankfully we both made it down unharmed. I turned, my heels clicking on the tiled floor, through the door and then walked down the remaining few steps to the car park and walked to where my Audi sports car was parked. I have to admit my arms were quite tired by this point and as carefully as I could I placed her in the passenger seat, reclining the chair as I went.

As soon as I removed my arms from around her, her eyes fluttered open. "Don't leave me" she muttered "please don't go again". I felt a shooting pain in my heart at the pleading and desperate tone in her voice and in her eyes. "It's ok, I'm not going anywhere. I promise. I'll be right back ok?" I kissed her forehead lightly and she nodded once more, clearly slipping back into her sleep.

Hurriedly I chucked the bags in the boot and slid into the cool leather driver’s seat. The engine purred to life and slowly I pulled out of the car park. I placed a reassuring hand on her thigh and she hugged my arm closer to her, wresting a head near my shoulder. Good thing the car was automatic...

I had a rough idea of where I wanted to go and drove along the empty roads for a good few hours until the darkness turned to a dull orange and the sea was just visible on the horizon. I drove around the town for a few minutes looking for somewhere to stay. A hotel? A bed and breakfast? Anything? Just as I was losing hope a sign caught my eye and I followed the arrows for another half an hour. The sun was truly beginning to rise now and you could see flowers of every colour beginning to open their petals. I wound the window down fractionally so the soft salty air wafted in and I breathed it in deeply feeling my muscles beginning to unwind.

The signs brought me to a small cottage, hidden almost from view by vines and flowers crawling up the cobble stone walls. I drove up the long driveway and parked outside the front door. The moment the car stopped a little old lady popped her head out from behind the door, despite it being only just past 5 am. She wore a faded flowery dress which went just past her knees, a pair of fluffy slippers on her feet. Her hair was curly and a pair of large round glasses on her nose.

As gently as I could I pried my arm out of Theresa's grasp and climbed out of the car. "Good morning Deary" said the lady

"Good morning mam" I said

"What can I do for you?"

"Is this cottage still up for rent?"

"Yes yes and it's in fine condition too, the carpets all clean, the beds made, I'll even put the kettle on for you love"

"Thank you very much but we've had a long drive" I said gesturing to Theresa. The lady followed my movements and, squinting hard, she said "oh she's beautiful isn't she, lucky man." I just nodded awkwardly agreeing with none the less. "How long would you like it for?"

"Just until Tuesday for now but you never know, with such a beautiful location we might just stay a little longer."

"Not to worry Deary not to worry. I'll take a deposit now and you can sign a few things..."