Chapter Three

No. This couldn't be happening. Why is he here? How did he find me? He took a step towards, me his blonde hair pushed and jelled back from his face, his blue eyes never leaving mine. I tired stepping backwards but my brain refused to respond, I was frozen in fear. He cocked his head to the side and took another large stride towards me "You don't look happy to see me Tessa what's wrong?" he asked, his voice full of false concern.

"You need to leave" I said, trying to keep my voice strong and authoritative but I barely made a sound. "What did you say?" he snarled, his nostrils flaring and his eyes flashing dangerously. I took a deep breath "I said you need to leave, now" I said louder this time... too loud I saw the tell-tell signs that he was getting angry and I knew that I was pushing it. He hates it when I shout.

"Tut tut tut Tessa" he said, each word he took a step closer to me, all the false pretence gone from his voice, now it was just cold and dark. "You never seem to learn do you" He said as he trailed a finger along my arm, instinctively I jerked my hand away and he caught my wrist, holding it tight between his fingers. "You didn't really think that I would forget about you did you? Forget about my darling Theresa whilst I was away." He tightened his grip on my wrist and began to twist it around, the pain began to grow spreading like fire through my veins, it was excruciating and I felt my knees give way but he held his grip. "How could I forget about you?" He said his eyes trailing up and down my body, I could feel the tears stinging in my eyes as the pain increased and my knees completely gave way/ "Stand up Theresa" He said, slowly spitting each word out through his perfect white teeth. I couldn't help the whimper that escaped my lips and I lay on the floor clutching my hand. "Let me help you" He said.

Suddenly a searing pain erupted along my scalp as he picked me up by my hair, forcing me against the wall and pinning me against it, his hand grabbed my chin and pushed it up causing our eyes to meet. His blue eyes, once so full of love and life, now remained cold and dead. He dropped his hand and immediately my eyes fell to the floor. Stupid move I thought and sure enough the familiar stinging, throbbing, pain soared across my cheek and the sound of his hand connecting with my cheek echoed across the room. "Look at me when I am speaking to you Theresa" He said and I did as I was told. "You are mine Theresa Mitchell, you always have and you always will be" he whispered into my ear, his hot breath sent shivers down my spine but not in a good way. "No" the word was out of my mouth before I could stop it. "What did you say to me..." he said a sick smile spreading across his face. "Did you say 'no'?" I shook my head the tears forming in my eyes for I knew what was to come.

I felt his fist connect with my stomach, knocking my breath away I stared wide eyed gasping and choking "That was for lying to me and this" I felt another blow just below my diaphragm and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears as I fell to the floor, hitting my shoulder on a cabinet as I fell "was for being disobedient" he said but his voice sounded strange, distant, and I watched as he walked from the room. I saw Tina walk in, saw her running to me screaming my name but it sounded so remote as if in slow motion. I felt her hit me on the back repeatedly and slowly air re-entered my lungs. I lay on the floor spluttering and choking, trying to remove the lump that seemed to be blocking my throat. Tina sat down next to me, scooped me into her arms and whispered into my hair that everything was going to be ok.

I closed my eyes and wondered why it was me who was in this mess. James King. That's his name. I met him at university and I fell madly in love with him. He was different then, this was before his brother got involved with the wrong people. Jamie was caring, loving, sweet and everything you want in a boyfriend. He loved me too I know he did. He used to tell me that every day. But one day things changed; his brother went missing. It turns out that he owed a lot of people a lot of money. When his brother didn't come back the men came for Jamie and 'recruited' him too. I only know this from reading his messages when we were dating. I wasn't spying on him in a protective girlfriend sort of way but I needed to know why he was like this.

He left about four years ago and went to America and is now pretty big in the group. I have tried to break up with him so many times and as far as I'm concerned we haven't been a couple for about 6 years but he thinks that he is still this perfect boyfriend in his shirts and chinos, his muscular body and charming behaviour (when he wants to be) He says it's my fault that he gets angry and that I should be better. I've tried getting my family, the police or anyone who would listen involved but he has so many connections that they never believe me. He constantly threatens Tina so she can't do anything either.

Opening my eyes I see that Tina has tears in her eyes too, I mention something about going to the bathroom and then too bed and I slowly get up and walk into my en suite. Running the hot water into my bath and I examine myself in the mirror: my eyes are red and bloodshot from crying and my dark auburn hair is sticking up all over the place, my cheek looks red and swollen and I could see bruises forming on my arm and my stomach. I've had worse.

Sinking into the boiling water I try to relax, I breathe in the lavender scented candles, take deep, soothing breaths, and felt my muscles unwinding. But every time I closed my eyes all I could see was Jamie. How did he even find me? I have moved twice since he went to America. I gaze around the room thinking about spying cameras or something that he might have placed, I wouldn't put it past him.

After sitting in the bath for long enough that my whole body was covered in shrivels, I wrap myself in my white fluffy dressing gown and lay in bed, gazing up at the ceiling. Just as I begin to close my eyes I hear my phone vibrating next to me.

A little green box with Unknown next to it, I swiped my screen and hastily read the message:

I would be delighted if you would accompany me for lunch tomorrow? Benedict x

I couldn't help the smile spread across my face, all thoughts of Jamie vanishing, and I replied

I would love to x

I waited a few seconds and the Read notification appeared beneath my text and the three dots appeared telling me that he was replying. I waited, anticipation building inside me and I could feel the tingling sensation in my stomach once more.

Brilliant! I will come by your office tomorrow then at one, looking forward to seeing you again x

I switched my phone off after replying to him and lay down in my bed and I began to imagine the date that I had lined up tomorrow, and somehow managed to drift into a peaceful sleep.

(Please comment what you think so far :) )