Chapter Fourteen

“Goodbye, love” Benedict called as he closed the door to my apartment. It felt like I floated back over to the sofa, in my current euphoric state, and I lay down to make sure that I fixed how perfect this day had been to memory.

After the fire alarm had gone off we had cleared up the water and the burnt pancake we ate those which he had already made, which were amazing, before he had realised the time, grabbed his shirt on and had to leave because of filming. I hugged one of the pillows to my chest and I could smell his deep masculine cologne and I closed my eyes a lazy smile on my face and a warm, fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

“Don’t mind me darling” Said a voice, making my stomach churn uneasily. My eyes snapped open and I saw him, leaning against the wall as if he owned the place. How long had he been here? Had he seen Benedict? Had he seen me with Benedict? “I’ve already met your little boyfriend” He said, as if reading my mind. He picked up an apple from the fruit bowl, polished it against his top and took a massive bite out of it.

“What… what do you mean, how have you met him?”
“Oooooh he didn’t tell you then?” He said his mouth still full of the apple.
“Tell me what?” I said, trying to sound authoritative
“Patience Tessa” he said and continued to eat the apple, filling the flat with the sounds of the food being pushed around his mouth. Chucking the core out of the window he turned back to me “Lies are never a good foundation to start a relationship with are they Tessa?” his straight white teeth flashed menacingly as he stood there smiling down at me.
“What lies, no one is lying, I told him everything about you already so don’t try to think that you can push him away by-“
“You stupid little girl” He said slowly, empathising each syllable.

 Doubt and confusion began to fill me up inside, pushing away all the warmth that Benedict had left behind and I swallowed hard to make sure I remained strong. Stick to what you know, I told myself, you know what he is like he is probably making all this up anyway. I stared up into his eyes, looking for something that would tell me he was the liar, but his stupid smirk remained on his face and his eyes didn’t move away from mine. “He really didn’t tell you did he?” He was really beginning to annoy me now but I tried to remain calm. He began sucking at his teeth, removing bits of apple that were stuck there and the seconds dragged out and I felt myself becoming more irate with each one that went by.

“Jamie, please tell me what you are talking about” I said, trying to remain polite.
“Since you asked so nicely” he said, mocking my polite tone before his voice went back to his dead, deep voice “It was that boyfriend of yours who called the cops on me, who found us in the alley and called the ambulance.”

What? Benedict had seen me… seen us… together. Why wouldn’t he have told me? I was so honest with him, so open; I had told him things that not even Tina knew. I didn’t understand and watching Jamie clearly enjoying this made me feel angry and I knew that I would have to get Jamie to leave before things got any worse.

I swallowed once more but before I could say anything Jamie began speaking again “I seriously cannot believe he wouldn’t tell you, why he wouldn’t want to revel in being your hero? A bit strange if you ask me.” He was definitely enjoying this “Maybe he wishes that he didn’t find you, maybe he feels that if he tells you it was him that he will feel like he would have to stay, and why would anyone want to stay with you?”
“Then why are you here” I asked, trying to remain strong, what if he was right, what if that was why Benedict hadn’t told me.
“That darling is a very good question I have much better things to be doing then hanging around with you” and with that he left, leaving me feeling very alone.