Chapter Fifty Seven

"Come on Theresa or we are going to miss it!" Benedict called, 10 metres or so in front of me. I wiped the sweat pouring from my brow for the millionth time as I trekked up the hill behind him. My thighs were burning, calling for me to stop but every time I did Benedict would turn around and encourage me up the hill. Man I needed to start dancing again, my muscles were aching.

The light was slowly dropping as we had been walking for a few hours now and I enjoyed the crisp crunch of the icy grass beneath my boots. This morning after my parents left, having stayed the night, Benedict had insisted we get out of the house together. I suppose he was right. It was nice to feel the soft burn of the cold air in my lungs and see the winter flowers begin to bloom. I wondered when spring was due to start, I had lost complete track of time whilst I was rebuilding myself. The dark green trees towered above us blocking out most of the light but it was a clear day and the winter sun shined through the branches creating shafts of light. Everything was so still and silent that I could hear Benedict's gentle singing from up above. I think walking made him happy or maybe it was being outdoors or maybe it was all of the above plus being with me. I sure hoped it was the latter. He was wearing loose jeans which had a few splatters of mud on the back and a plaid shirt, heavy duty walking boots and an anorak as the rain is often unpredictable. But the clouds had held off, for now at least. As he walked he would trail a hand over the trees, feeling the leaves and then shout back to me the name of the tree or a barely visible flower.

"Theresa come on" he called and came to a stop, checking a map. We had driven to a national park and I was hoping that the car park wasn't too far now as I was exhausted. Benedict had a small rucksack now on his front as it was hurting his back, but he wouldn't let me carry it.

I managed to re-join him whilst he consulted the map and took his distracted state as an opportunity. With a slight run I managed to clamber onto his back. I could feel the vibrations as he laughed in his deep chuckle and I could just picture his eyes practically closed with those faint wrinkles around the edges. His thumb trailed across my hands which were around his neck. "I think we are nearly there, it should be just over there" he said as he kissed my hand. He began to walk on, with me still clinging to his back but I could hear his breathing getting faster even if he didn't want to complain about me hijacking a ride so I lightly jumped back down, taking his hand in mine instead. He looked down at me, with his adorable half smile, the arch of his upper lip looking so defined in the rays of light that illuminated the few speckles of sweat but mainly the light made his eyes shine. I could feel my cheeks burning under his gaze. Still, after all this time together, he still made my blush and my insides flutter.

He swung our hands together as we continued up the incline for a few more moments before he took a sharp turn straight into a set of trees. With a little negotiating we shuffled around the branches and came to a clearing at the top of the hill. Stretched out below us was the forest and beyond that the faint twinkling lights of the city. But most importantly was the sun just beginning to make contact with the horizon. Its warm orange glow was slowly becoming deeper, darker as it slowly made its descent.

Benedict spread a tartan blanket onto the cold grass and then momentarily disappeared into the forest before emerging with some kindling. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him fiddle around building a small fire. "I used to be in the boys scouts" he mumbled as he continued to arrange to sticks and leaves "my dad and I used to go on walks like these all the time and he would always make a fire and then one day he let me do it and I didn't really know what I was doing but it all worked out in the end" he continued rambling. He almost looked nervous as the small embers illuminated his face. He bit his lip slightly as he watched the fire begin to grow; making sure that it was safe.

I sat back on the blanket and watched as the sun sunk further down. Benedict sat beside me, an arm around my waist and I rested my cheek against his shoulder, my stomach somersaulting at his deep cologne. The sun was sinking fast through the sky, digging itself deeper into the city. The brilliant reds and oranges reflected that of the fire beside us; warm and friendly, calming. I felt so at rest, so relaxed, in a tranquil state of mind.

Every moment that passed a new colour would appear, washing away the previous one. Each time I felt like it was the most beautiful colour I had ever seen, so intense, like our own private viewing. Over time the pinks rippled into soft purples and suddenly they disappeared into blues as the moon replaced the sun high above us. I could feel the warmth of fire extinguish any cold that threatened. Despite the heat I could feel benedict shake slightly beside me.

I turned and saw he looked slightly pale, his hands shaking feverishly in his lap. "Are you ok?" I asked concern thick in my voice. He looked down at me, his eyes soft, those bushy brows furrowed somewhat. "Just a bit ch-chilly" he said, my favourite half smile creeping onto his face. I shuffled as close to him as I could get and cuddled into his side, sharing my warmth.

The fire continued crackling, its small flames offering a surprising large amount of heat. The sun had nearly finished setting when Benedict started rummaging through his bag and produced a small wrapped package. "I erm got you something" his cheeks were glowing "I hope it helps to motivate you" he handed me the package, his hand shaking slightly.

Tentatively, and slightly puzzled, I peeled back the paper to reveal a plain hard back book. Turning it over I saw printed in golden writing at the bottom 'Theresa Mitchell' Utterly perplexed and my heart now hammering in my chest I opened the first page and I couldn't believe my eyes.

My words. My story. My creation in an actual book. A fully published book. "I don't... I don't understand"

"Well while you were recovering I got in contact with the publishers at the studio and they put me in contact with a few people and once they read your story they loved it. There is still so much to be sorted with them but as it's your book I thought you should be the one to do all of that. I asked them to print a prototype for you. You can still edit and change anything you want" He rubbed the back of his neck and looked so nervous

I threw my arms around him, no words of gratitude strong enough for what I was feeling. "Thank you, thank you thank you" I practically screamed kissing him in-between my words.

I sat back on my heels, flicking through the pages of my soviet spy story. I opened on the middle page and my fingers brushed against something cold. I stared at it and then back at Benedict, a small sweat on his forehead. He picked up the small object.

"Theresa Mitchell just over a year ago I stole your cab but now you have stolen something much more important; my heart. I want it to be yours forever and always. You are the most talented, funny, beautiful and strongest woman I have ever met and you are the love of my life, my soulmate. Will you do the honour of becoming my wife?" his gorgeous eyes locked with mine, his skin slightly pale.

I just sat nodding for a while before I could manage a feeble "Yes". He slid the ring onto my finger. It was a beautiful emerald nestled between two diamonds. Simple but stunning. His fingers picked the bird necklace out from under my jumpers, smiling at the sweet match of the emeralds. He was beaming so much that I could barely see his eyes, the wrinkles appearing at the sides and his dimples so deep in his cheeks.

I leant forward and kissed him. Kissed my fiancé. Then I sat back in his lap and watched as the sun made its final descent into to horizon. The moon soon taking its place with the twinkling stars high above us.