Chapter Twenty Five

Theresa POV

“Theresa!” he called from downstairs, “Coming!” I called back. I looked at my reflected one more time in the bathroom mirror. I had bought the bikini last summer but luckily it still fitted me. It was mint green in colour with a balconette style top piece and high waisted bottoms. It’s not that I don’t like my figure, years of ballet had built my confidence as you are basically forced to wear a leotard, but I was quite nervous about him seeing me like this, what if he didn’t like it? I sighed, pulling a beach dress over my head, wincing slightly as my arm was only just out of its cast and it wasn’t used to moving around too much. That and sleeping in a car didn’t really help.

I had to grab the railing for support as I walked down the stairs. He had changed into beach shorts, flip flops and had a pair of ray ban glasses on and looked amazing. He smiled and took my hand as we walked down to the beach. The second we got to the sand I took my sandals off. Ever since I was a child I loved the feeling of the sand between my toes, the way it seems to soothe the skin just makes me feel so relaxed. What I didn’t anticipate was how hot the sand was going to be. I hopped from one foot to the other, flapping my arms around, trying to cool down my burning feet. Benedict was bent double laughing, clutching his side, his whole body shaking with his deep laugh. I took the opportunity and jumped up onto his back, wrapping my arms around his neck and my legs onto his torso.

He started running along the beach laughing still and I couldn’t help the scream escape my lips as it felt like I was flying along the beach. He dropped our beach bag and continued running into the sea. The cold water splashed up against my back and I screamed again and in the moment of shock he spun me around so I was now dangling over the water and he was lowering me closer to the water, a wicked grin on his face. “Ben… no… no… Ben PLESE” I squealed. Suddenly a wave crashed into his legs causing him to lose his balance and I fell into the water. I stood up spluttering, water drenching my clothes. “You’ll pay for that Cumberbatch!” I said, he turned and started running through the shallow water.

“Chicken!” I shouted running after him. He looked over his shoulder and carried on laughing running hard. I ran through the water, feeling it splash up around me each drop shimmering in the light. Just when I got close enough and jumped, in a rugby tackle, my arms round his waist and pulled down hard. I fell back on the sand laughing hard at the shock on his face, the water making his hair stick down on his forehead. He ruffled his hair with his hands, shaking water everywhere. “Something funny Miss Mitchell?” He asked, trying to hold back his grin. “Nope” I said popping the ‘p’, “Nothing at all” I said snorting slightly. “That’s it!” He called and it was my turn to run this time.

We played in the sea until the sun began to lower in the sky and I was shaking rather uncontrollably. We walked back to where he dropped the bag and I took of the dress that was soaked though and wrapped the towel around myself, enjoying the rough feeling. Benedict lay back on his towel, arms behind his head and eyes closed. I sat down on the sand and pulled my notebook out from the bag and opened it to the last story I was writing. It was a murder mystery story with a young female detective trying to make a way into the world. I lay my towel down and lay on my stomach on it the book in front of me. I chewed on my pen lightly, thinking hard about where I wanted the story to go.

I felt his hot breath on my exposed back, followed by a few kisses at the top of my spine. A shiver ran down my spine and my eyes closed slightly at the feeling of his lips against on my skin. “What are you writing about?” He said, his lips brushing lightly against my back as he spoke. “I… erm… I don’t remember” I said trying to concentrate but it was safe to say I was more than a little bit distracted. “And why is that?” his voice was soft in my ear as he nibbled softly on my earlobe. I couldn’t not see his face for any longer and I rolled over.

He was sitting with one knee either side of my torso but holding his own body weight up so he hovered over my body. His soft pink lips were parted slightly, a strange look in his eyes and a small smile on his face. I smiled back at him as his eyes bore into mine and he cocked his head to the side. Slowly I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his head down to me “I guess it’s the effect you have on me” I said quietly before kissing his lips lightly. Just as I pulled away he kissed me again and again. The sun light seemed to radiate his face as it shone of the water droplets still clinging to his skin and hair. He stared into my eyes for a few moments longer, his thumb running along my cheekbones.

His eyes flickered down to my chest and he took the necklace that he had bought me in his hand. “You’re wearing it?”

“Of course I am” I chuckled and he smiled again and his cheeks seemed to flush slightly. Suddenly he kissed me again, but this time a lot more urgently, both of his hands cupping my face, his tongue moving with mine in the way only he could do. I could feel my skin heating slightly, especially when he began kissing along the soft spot where at the base of my neck.

A group of surfers walked past, wolf whistling loudly. Benedict sat up and I felt my cheeks burning red. “Maybe we should go back to the cottage?” He said lightly, laughing as he stroked my burning cheeks. I just nodded and followed him back along the beach, his hand in mine, leading the way.