Chapter Twenty One

Stay calm Benedict. I wanted to scream for help for someone, anyone to come and help me. But what if that someone who came was the same someone who put me here in the first place. That would not be good.

I could see nothing and I could feel nothing. Actually no wait. I could feel that I was sitting on something, probably a chair. I had to concentrate hard. I focused on my fingers... Yes, good, I could move those. Slowly I scrunched my fingers into a fist and then released them. I did this over and over again fighting the resistance that was there. It felt like when you're in a dream and you're trying to run, trying to run as fast as you can, but everything feels slow and unresponsive.

I worked my way along my body; turning my wrists against the rope holding them in place, rolling my shoulders and then moving my neck. Damn. My head felt like it weighed a thousand tonnes and it was pulsing giving a horrible feeling of high pressure around my temples.

Suddenly whatever I was in lurched around a corner and the chair that I was sitting on fell to the side and, with no way of stopping myself, I landed hard on the right side of my body. That was definitely going to leave a bruise.

Next I tried to move my legs but they were tied to the chair also but I could move my feet just about. Within a few minutes I had managed to shake the sluggish feeling away from my muscles and now I had to think of a way out of here.

First things first; I had to get this damn bag of my head. Ignoring the pain, a shook my head from side to side trying to get the bag to fall off. Slowly, very slowly, it began to slip off.

I had to shut my eyes fast as the bright sunlight filled the back of the truck. Blinking fast I looked at my surroundings. The whole space was virtually empty apart from me, a few crates and a large object under a sheet. I shuffled on my side over to the wall and, using my hands tied up behind me, I managed to somehow get the chair upright again.

I began to pull at the rope, twisting my hands back and forth, up and down trying to loosen the restraint. Nothing happened, well other than a series of cuts forming up my arm. I tried again. And again. And again. Somehow my thumb became free and I used it to force the rest of the rope away from my hand and... come on... Yes! Examining my hands before me I saw a series of deep cuts and rope burns but they were ok. Then, untying the rope around my ankles I stood up.

Bad idea. The truck turned unexpectedly once more and I fell flat on my face and rolled towards the back of the compartment. Wincing slightly I stood up again but this time keeping low, and began to creep forwards to the drivers compartment.

It was weird. I almost felt like I was on the set of a film, that this was just another character who was going to save the day. None of this felt real. But it was. The pain in my head and the cuts on my body were enough proof and I was no hero, just an incredibly scared man who had no idea what he was doing. I stopped, kneeling low against the half wall that separates this section from the driver. Slowly I peered my head over the wall and looked down.

Jamie. I should have known that this sick bastard would have been behind this. Anger seared through me. In my head I could just imagine him with Theresa. My Theresa. Hurting her and doing god only knows what and, with no plan, I slammed his head down into the steering wheel. He turned to face me, stunned slightly and blinking fast, blood pouring from his nose, but I saw something behind him even worse.

The car jolted forwards as it made contact with the tree. I fell backwards and slid all the way to the back of the truck hitting my already sore head against the metal door. I turned the handle and climbed out of the truck. The whole front bonnet was crumpled and steam rose from the exposed engine. I don't think that's going anywhere any time soon.

The air bag had blown up and Jamie sat crumpled over it the blood from his nose dying the white fabric a deep dark red.

I turned away, looking at where I was. A vast open stretch of land spread out before me. Trees as tall as mountains and fields of all different colours and shapes lined the horizon. It would have been a spectacular view had the circumstances been different. I imagined taking Theresa somewhere like this. I could make a picnic with chocolate strawberries, and she would lay in my arms, her hair smelling of strawberries, rambling on the way the she did about a new story of hers. We would laugh together and she would kiss me, her lips tasting of chocolate and…

I couldn't breathe. His hands were locked tightly around my throat and were getting tighter. My eyes opened wide and I tried to swallow some air, spluttering and coughing. Panic began to overwhelm me. I knew that if I didn't get any air my organs would start shutting down, one by one. I needed to do something before I lost all control of my limbs.

I swung my elbow backwards and it must if made a connection as his hands slackened and I pulled away. He was taller than I remembered his blonde hair falling out of its gel-fixed position. His blue eyes were mad and he snarled showing me his straight white teeth. His nose didn’t look as straight as I thought it was, perhaps that’s why the blood still poured from it.
“So we meet again eh” He said his voice menacing and something told me this wasn’t the first time he had been in a situation like this.
“It appears so” I said trying to remain calm, glad that my voice sounded strong.
“I warned you” He said pacing back and forth “I guess that’s what you and Tessa have in common, you never listen” And he slammed his huge fist into a tree and I could see his muscles bulging through his shirt “You’re both stupid. You would probably make a good couple, shame, such a shame”
“What’s a shame?”
“I don’t know, the fact that you will never see her again, perhaps”
“That’s not going to happen” I snarled through my teeth and he laughed the sound was menacing and discordant.
“I admire you’re bravery, I really do. Such a great quality to have. I guess you and I are more similar than I thought”
“I am nothing like you” I spat and he eyed me up and down
“No I suppose you’re not, not really. I mean Tessa loves me, not you. I think that’s-“before he could finish I had rugby tackled him to the ground and was sitting on top of him.
“Bravo Mr Cumberbatch. But what do you plan on doing now, killing me?” He said his voice still slow and calm, almost bored.

I swallowed hard, what was I going to do? He laughed up at me, obviously aware that I had no plan and that no matter what, I could never kill him. I looked down at his stupid face, his eyes mocking me and his lip twitched slightly into a smile. My fist connected hard with his cheek, that felt good. Jamie’s eyes were now angry and I realised that I probably shouldn’t have done that, but he had it coming and so much more.

As if with minimal effort he stood up, easily pushing me off of him. “Looks like the party just got boring” He said, spitting blood onto the ground. I took this as my chance and landed a kick just below his ribs. He fell to the ground, cursing loudly. I ran as fast as I could back to the truck and into the back compartment. I kicked open the crates, hoping to find some sort of weapon or something, anything. I heard him shout out in anger and I knew my time was short. I spun around the space looking for anything that might be useful.

My eyes fell onto the object beneath the sheet. Hurriedly I pulled it back and I could not believe my eyes. A quad bike sat there and I could not believe my luck. I jumped onto it, searching for the on button or start or go or anything that would turn it on. I heard him stumbling around, the leaves crunching beneath his heavy foot. I desperation I turned the handle bars and it roared to life. I revved the engine and prepared to go.

Just then Jamie appeared at the bottom of the truck and he looked like a physcopath; blood still covering his face, his eyes flashing, his hair raked with leaves, dirt and blood. I revved the engine once more and put the throttle on full. He dived out of the way at the last moment as the bike leaped out of the truck and landed heavily on the ground, me clinging on for dear life. I turned back to see him pulling something from the back of his trousers, and then a single shot was fired.