Chapter Two

We walked for about ten minutes along the main road, passing several Costas and Starbucks on our way. Each time we passed one I turned as if to go into it, but realised that Benedict was still walking, so would have to hurry to catch up and pretend that nothing happened. As we walked we talked about the weather and about the latest news and the conversation remained light and easy.

Following Benedict, we turned down into a side street and stopped at a little café. There were a few round tables on the cobble stone path and a cherry blossom tree over hung the canopy so a few petals lay on the ground. The warm sun was only just beginning to set and cast a pinkish glow over the café.

“We can go somewhere else if you want” he said looking down at the ground. “No, no this perfect” I said taking in my surroundings. I watched as he looked up smiling, obviously pleased that I wanted to stay.

We sat down at one of the tables outside and a little man came out to take our order. The conversation soon became a bit more personal and we talked about our childhoods and our lives at the moment. He seemed quite impressed that I worked at my law firm but nowhere near as impressed as when he told me about him being an actor. He only mentioned it once but suddenly something clicked in the back of my mind.

“Hurry up Theresa” mum called as she put away the plates from our Sunday roast. I rolled my eyes and reminded myself not to come home for dinner again for a while. The whole meal had been awkward with my older brothers talking about their new businesses and the stock market and other things that were quite dull and I just sat there, no one asking me about my job or life, as apparently being a PA isn’t a job just something “to pass the time until you start up your own company” as my dad had so delicately put it. I finished putting the plates and dishes away and followed my mum into the living room where the whole family sat staring at the television.

“What’s everyone watching?” I said but was replied with by four pairs of angry eyes and lots of “ssshhhh”. Sighing I sat down as the starting credits stopped rolling and a large “Sherlock” filled the screen. The next hour and a half was probably the most tense I have ever been watching a TV show and a soon as I got home I was already ordering the series.

I decided that I shouldn’t bring up this story, I didn’t want to freak him out and he probably gets enough from crazed fans anyway.

“Theresa… Theresa?” Benedict says and I blink pulling myself out of my thoughts. “Sorry, I have a tendency to do that, I get caught up in my stories” I look down to see that his hand was covering mine, obviously from where he tried to get my attention. He noticed me looking and moved his hand onto his lap, his cheeks softly glowing.

“Stories?” He asked.
“Yes… I have always wanted to be a writer” I say quietly. I’d never told anyone other than my parents that before, I didn’t want to see their disappointment on anyone else’s face. I braced myself for him to laugh at me, call me stupid and walk away but instead he looked… enthusiastic?

“Really, well that’s amazing, there’s a lot of skill involved in writing and I’m sure you have all the talents required” He said, his eyes kind and mouth pulled into his adorable half smile. I couldn’t hold his gaze and looked away, feeling my cheeks burning.

“Did I say something wrong” Benedict said, his voice now quiet, concerned.
I looked back up at him and this time placed my hand over his, “You’re the first person to think that, my parents flat out laughed at me, so thank you” I said pulling my hand back, but he took hold of it, his thumb resting on my fingers and I could feel the fluttering in my stomach once again. “Walk with me?” He said gesturing towards the Thames River. I nodded and he helped me to my feet, and before I could refuse, he places the money on top of the bill, and began walking towards the embankment, all the time holding my hand.

I couldn’t help but smile as we walked down along the river and the butterflies seemed to multiply the more we walked, all the time the conversation kept flowing, never an awkward moment or pause.

I stopped walking and lent my chest against the railings, enjoying the feeling of the wind in my hair. “It is getting quite late” he said as he checked the time on his watch, “May I walk you home?” I nodded again the smile growing wider on my face and I knew I must look foolish. But I didn’t care. My apartment block wasn’t far so we walked the short journey in no time at all and all too soon we stood outside the door to my block.

“Theresa” He said, his eyes seemed to be searching mine “I have had an amazing time this evening and I... erm… would love to see you again” he said seeming quite nervous.
“I would like that too” I said truthfully, the time seemed to have flown by with him and it had been a lovely day. “May I have your number?” he asked presenting me with his sleek iPhone. “Of course” I replied as I entered my number under Theresa Mitchell on his phone. “I look forward to seeing you again” he said and seemed to stand there for a few moments deciding what to do. He bent down slightly so we were at eyelevel and I could clearly see now just how perfect his eyes were, he gazed into my own hazel eyes for a few moments before he planted a light kiss on my cheek. The butterflies seemed to explode in my stomach and a warm feeling spread across my body; I wonder if he felt the same connection too?

He began to walk away and then turned and waved and I saw that he was smiling too and that made me smile even more. I pressed the button to call the lift and went up into my apartment. I couldn’t stop myself from twirling around in the hallway as I walked into the living room and nearly twirled straight into Tina, my roommate.

My happy feeling fell slightly as I saw the look on her face and she turned her head in the direction of the living room. Confused I walked through our kitchen and into the largest room of the flat. But it didn’t seem large right now, it felt tiny, I felt tiny as a man stood from the sofa, his lips curling up into smile “Hello Tessa” he said, his voice sickly sweet and his eyes cold. “Did you miss me?”