Chapter Forty Five

Benedict’s POV

I could feel her breath on my side every time she breathed slowly in and out. She lay on her side, facing me, using my outstretched arm as a pillow with one hand lying across my chest. She must have fallen asleep nearly an hour ago now but I lay wide awake trailing my free hand across her arm revelling in the way goose bumps arose even in her sleep. She is the only person I know who talks so frequently in their sleep and I have to admit I love it, especially since my name is most frequent in her mumbles.

I noticed how much longer her hair is when it’s wet, having not had the chance to curl itself into the tight rings and how it spread out behind her head like it was glowing. I don’t know why I couldn’t sleep, I just lay here staring at the ceiling feeling incredibly restless. As she slept all signs of worry left her face, leaving it flawless and I only wish that I could make her look like this all the time. That I could protect her and make her happy. So that I would never have to find her crying on a street corner in a state of shock.

As carefully as I could I removed my arm from under her head, replacing it with a pillow and rolled out of the bed. She rolled over, her arm stretching over to where I would have been and a few lines appeared on her forehead. She then drew her arm back and rolled back over, her arms crossing over her chest covered in one of my t shirts. I promised myself that I would be back in only a few moments as I couldn’t bear to be away from her for much longer.

I walked down the hallway then the stairs into the kitchen. I would never have guessed that I would find myself in this position a few months ago. I had been on a few different dates but I had found that none of the women kept my attention and now I find myself clinging to every word Theresa says: the different names she has for things, the way her full lips move when she talks, how she makes up words when she forgets what it is she is saying. The last five months have gone by in a not so smooth blur but I wouldn’t change anything.

I smiled into my glass of water leaning back against the granite surface, feeling the cold liquid travel through my body. I turned back to the sink to re fill my glass. “No! Get away from me! Get away!” The blood now surging through my body felt cold. The forgotten glass fell to the floor, smashing into tiny fragments but I had no time to stop. Adrenaline pumped through me, my heart was racing, and unthinkable scenarios playing in my mind as fear began to take over me. I stumbled and tripped as took the stairs three at a time. The corridor has never seemed longer than just then. It seemed as though I was on some sick trial where the floor moved in the opposite direction as I tried to run. My throat was tightening, my head was poudning. Finally I barged through the bedroom door. The door recoiled off of the wall slamming into my shoulder and causing me to fall heavily to the floor.

Staring up I could see the sheets thrashing around and I felt physically sick, bile rising in my throat. I stood up and wrenched the sheets in my hand. I stood back my head hammering and a warm liquid spreading down my arm. She lay alone in the bed, her screams slowly beginning to die down. I slid down the wardrobe, a cold sweat now covering my body as well as the blood oozing down my arm. She sat bolt upright “Benedict?” she croaked, her eyes wide staring at the empty spot on the bed next to her. “Benedict?” she called again choking as the tears began falling from her bloodshot eyes.

I was by her side in an instant, my uninjured arm around her waist pulling her into me. Her head snapped to look at me the second I touched her, fear evident on her face as she searched my own. “Its ok I’m here, it’s me. I’m not going anywhere. No one else is here, it was only a dream” I continued trying to calm her down whilst cursing myself for leaving her side. Her whole body was trembling “He was here. I saw him. He stood right there” a shaking hand pointed to the end of the bed “He was here. He was going to hurt me” she whispered. I pried myself away to walk to the window, pulling the curtains back to stare into the pitch black street. Her sobs pulled me back to the bed before I had a chance to notice the figure walking slowly down the street.

(Sorry for such a short chapter, im more than half way through my exams now. Done 17 got 12 more to go and then I will be back for daily updates I promise. Please comment and vote as it really puts a smile on my face in such a stressful time :) )