Chapter Forty Four

It didn’t take long for him to come. Although then again maybe it did I have no idea how much time had passed. The streets lamps began to come on along the street but the one directly above me seemed not able to make up its mind whether it was on or off and was annoyingly flickering. Not many people walked past so when I saw a pair of shoes stop directly in front of me I looked up, feeling a deep ache in my neck from looking down for such a long period of time.

I then noticed that his hair was wet, straightening the curls to his forehead. I then realised that all of my clothes were sodden and that it was in fact raining. He placed a hand under my elbow and helped me stand up from the bench, pulling me into a tight embrace, his cheek resting on my head. The warmth of his body around mine made me see just how cold I was and my arms remained motionless by my side as though frozen in place. With one hand still under my elbow and the other on the small of my back he led me to his car.

The warm air blasted from the vents but did nothing to stifle my shaking. The car was parked before I even felt like he had driven anywhere and once again his hand guided me up the stairs to his apartment. As soon as he walked through the door he adjusted the thermostat on the wall and I could hear the rumble as the boiler was brought to life. His hand gently pushed the small of my back up the stairs to his bedroom. He left the room momentarily and I felt the cold begin to engulf me again but soon he was back, removing the clothes that clung to my body. It was a terrible, peeling sensation as he removed every last item and I could feel the matt of hair now clinging to my back.

I think he was speaking to me, I think he had been trying to talk to me the whole time but my brain wouldn’t register what he was saying and was instead focusing on the way the perfect bow of his lip moved. He took my hand again and led me through to his bathroom. The floor tiles were a black slate but the actual features of the room were white. The shower stood neatly tucked in the corner with a sink next to it. A wooden shelving unit was next ladened with black, fluffy towels and flannels. At the far end was a majestic bath. It was long in length and fairly wide with a curved top and golden taps in the centre. Steam billowed over the top of it and thick bubbles floated across the surface. He then supported my body, his arm around my waist, as I stepped into the water.

I felt no change as I sat in water despite noticing my limbs turning pink from the supposed heat. He left the bathroom again and I felt the shift in energy when he walked back into the bathroom and then saw a ripple of water indicating that he had joined me in the bath. It was long enough for him to sit with his legs out straight and he beckoned me forward, extending an arm to me. My body refused to respond to my brain so he leaned completely forward to take my arms, pulling me to him. I sat on his lap, my body sideways to his and he pushed my head back against his chest. With his touch I slowly began to regain the feeling in myself, the places where his body touched mine coming to life first.

After more time I could hear his soft words he spoke into my hair, soothing me, letting me know everything was going to be OK without even knowing what happened. Why was this time so different? Jamie had hurt me more before, in fact the sting of my cheek was nothing compared to the past. Perhaps it was seeing him so broken. Or even the way I wasn’t sure how far he would have gone, he had looked so deranged. Or maybe it was seeing a fragment of the man I used to love still there within him. What was with all my exs suddenly coming back into my life?

I sighed and I felt his body tense. “Tess?” he asked softly, uncertainty in his voice. “Yes” I responded, my voice even quieter than his leaning back slightly so I could look into his eyes, now full of concern. “Do you want to talk about it?” he said with no pressure in his voice. “Not now” I replied, grateful that he didn’t push me for anything. He nodded, a soft smile playing on his lips as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, his fingers lingering on my cheek.

He wrapped his arms around my body, pulling my into his chest once more, although this time my back was to him. I heard his arm leave the water and soon I smelt a soapy, minty scent. The smell made my stomach flutter as it smelt so much like Benedict. I felt the flannel on my back as he moved it around in circles, the soft fabric smooth against my skin. He reached around me so he could wipe the flannel down across my arms. The smell of his shower gel surrounded me, making me feel safe and I rolled my neck to the side but winced at the tension of my shoulder blades. Instantly the flannel was replaced by his thumbs gently working in circles along the muscles in my back.

Every time his skin touched mine another fragment of my memory of Jamie was lost. Every time his lips caressed the soft skin at the base of my neck I felt more and more safe and loved. With each of his soothing words I found myself getting closer to breaking the surface and stop myself from drowning. I let out another sigh as I felt the tension vanish from my shoulders and turned around to face him, a smile softly pulling at the edge of my mouth. Noticing my smile he looked down at me a smile on his face as well. I placed a hand either side of his face, now slightly rough with stubble and rested my forehead against his. “Thank you” I said and his eyes instantly softened, free from concern. “You’re welcome” he said his smile growing more, deep dimples appearing in his cheeks.

His fingertips pressed lightly into my back, pushing me closer to him. He searched my eyes once more before placing his lips gently against mine. No matter how many times I have kissed him, or how many times in the future I will, I know that I will never get used to the sudden flutter in my stomach or the way all my hair stands on end. I moved to place one leg either side of his hips as the kiss deepened, my fingers wrapping into his hair with each of his hands resting on my hip bones. I was suddenly aware of our situation as he began to get hard beneath me. Seemingly realising the same thing at the same time he stood up, holding me tightly in his arms, my legs wrapped tightly around his waist as he walked back through to the bedroom, and grabbing a few towels on the way.