Chapter Nineteen

I twirled my glass around for a few minutes, enjoying the sound the ice made against the glass. I looked around the room once more. I really didn’t want to go back to the group with the Sherlock cast because, without Benedict keeping me grounded, I knew I would blurt something really goofy and nerdy out about how much of a fan I was. Well I certainly didn’t want to stay by myself so I had to make a decision.

I wouldn’t say I was a shy person but not confident enough to go over to a group of strangers. I weighed up my options; stay here like a loner or go and make some friends. It was reassuring that no one knew who I was. I mean I know they knew I had arrived with Benedict but they didn’t me. I could be anyone; I could be the most confident and bold person in the world and they wouldn’t know any different.

Sighing I stood up, finishing the last bit of my drink in one gulp praying that it would make me less socially awkward. I saw a group of people sitting in a booth a decided to go and sit with them as they all looked friendly and welcoming. “Do… erm… do you mind if I join you?” I stuttered nervously, so much for ‘less socially awkward’.

 A pretty woman with big blue eyes and blonde hair turned to me “Hiya, yeah of course you can! I’m Elizabeth” She said kindly, gesturing for me to sit next to her on the leather sofa. “I’m Theresa” I said sitting down doing my best to smile around the table. A short girl in the corner inhaled sharply and then, apparently realising that I heard her, blushed a deep red and looked back down at the table. The lady next to her chuckled and said “So you’re Benedict’s new girlfriend, I’m Clare by the way and that’s Jodie” she said pointing at the blushing girl who waved cutely at me.

“Yep that’s me” I said, well I didn’t know what else to say. “I’m very jealous” said a dark haired woman opposite me. Everyone turned to look at her “Oh come on guys, he is totally gorgeous!” A tall blonde next to her nodded and said “Agreed. Nice to meet you I’m Niamh”
“I’m Rachel” Said the dark haired one.

I looked around the table of the five girls and tried to remember all their names so it didn’t leave to awkward moments later. They were all very pretty each in their own way; Elizabeth had such gorgeous wide eyes that it made everyone feel at ease around her, Jodie was sweet and her wavy hair complimented her face perfectly, Clare was toned, obviously sporty, her dark purple hair was so unique and her nimble fingers reminded me of an artist, Niamh was tall and her glossy golden blonde hair gave her pale complexion a glowing quality and Rachel was slim and seemed to radiate confidence with her bubbly personality.

“Go on” said Elizabeth “Spill.”
“Spill what” I said laughing
“What it’s like to go out with Benedict of course” She said
“Well… It’s pretty awesome” I said laughing and she clapped excitedly. I smiled around at the group of girls who all returned my smiles
“He really has seemed different on set recently; there’s a real spring in his step!” Clare said
“So you all work with Sherlock?” I asked blushing again
“Yeah, we do the lights and the stage and props and stuff, it’s amazing” Rachel said
“Wow, seems like the dream job” I said, slightly envious of the fact that they didn’t spend their day in an office
“It really is” said Jodie, a sense of gratitude in her voice.

The conversation flowed on easily for a good half an hour. Niamh had us all in stitches at one point, and I clutched my stomach as I tried to regain control of my laughter. Another glass, or two, of champagne later and we were all getting along really well. Jodie was really coming out of her shell and the jokes kept flowing between these girls who were clearly best friends.

It was not until everyone sung happy birthday to Rupert and started heading out onto the dance floor that I began to get worried about Benedict as he still hadn’t returned. “Come on Theresa, show us your moves” Jodie said shaking her tiny hips, I laughed and tried to tell them that I needed to find Benedict. Clare grabbed my arm and twirled me around a few times and we all danced for a few songs with Rachel leading the group in a few ‘interesting’ dance moves. Elizabeth jumped up and down clapping her hands together as another song came on “This is my absolute favourite” She shouted above the music and closed her eyes swaying in time, moving her arms in front of her. I used this as my opportunity to sneak back into the private room we were in before.