Chapter 50: Pyrric Victory

Multiple POV's in the final chapter and A stunning end to the book. Enjoy, Comment, Vote and Share!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

'There's going to be very painful moments in your life that will change your entire world in a matter of minutes. These moments will change YOU. Let them make you stronger, smarter and kinder. But don't you go and become someone that you're not. Cry. Scream if you have to. Then you straighten out that crown and keep it moving.'Unknown

Destiny's POV:

"Watch Carl, it's gonna get ugly." I whispered to Vincent whilst I shoved through the people and without a second thought I killed the men that worked with the Governor as they came at me, after all they were trying to kill me so it was only right.
Gun shots went off, my Mother shot the gun she'd threatened the Governor's Walker with. People were struggling to get to safety and all I could think was that I had to save my people, they were going to get killed!
Then where would Rick be without Lori? Where would I be without My Mom, not that I spoke to her all that much, but I love her and If never want to se ever harmed.
I ducked and rolled to avoid getting attached then without looking shoved my swords into whoever was trying to attack me and continued on my way towards the Governor who was now Holding my Mom hostage while his men still held Beth but Lori had escaped thank god.
At least there was one less person to worry about saving— she was just reaching for Rick when she was shot in the back. "No! You bastards!" I screamed out as I threw a knife at the Governor and was only feet from the Vehicle when I saw my handsome man still holding the kid.
"Leave 'em alone! Let them go and I'll give you back yer Daughter." Daryl yelled from his position only feet away from me, now trying to get our people out of harms way before it got worse.
"Rick is tendin' ta Lori, but it looks bad Des, we need ya finish this up 'fore it gets worse and we lose any of our people." Daryl told me without breaking eye contact with The Governor who was holding a knife at my Mothers neck and Beth was being held at Gunpoint.
"This has gone on long enough, there doesn't need to be anymore lives lost, let my people go and you can leave with your daughter-" I was saying when he shot Beth not in the head but in the heart and they threw her body at us.
"You piece of shit! Rot in hell!?" I screamed as I pulled my bow off my back, aimed at the kid in Daryl's possession and shot the walker kid in the head, an eye for an eye and all that.

Daryl's POV:

Des quickly reloaded her bow and turned it on the Governor, she released the arrow but it was too late he slit Olivia's throat as it hit him right between his eyes, while he and Olivia both fell to the ground, one fighting for life and the other not a chance in hell of living.
Des screamed out in anguish as she ran to her fallen mother and slid on her knees to Olivia's side, holding her Mother in her lap and I ran to her side with my crossbow raised in case anyone had any ideas about trying to attack her while she was vulnerable-
One of the few remaining people that worked beside the Governor was running at her with blades in his hands when Des threw a knife and it lodged in his throat. I shot an arrow into the guys head just to be sure and stood beside my woman daring anyone else to make a move on her.
Des was holding a coat to Olivia's neck and sobbing, begging god to save her mother and to let her live. Not that it'd work, Olivia was barely livin' as it is and I'm sure Destiny knew it too, I just hope that Des can pull through her Mother's death.
"Don't you die on me Mother! Come on you're stronger than this-" Dest was sayin' when her mother laid a hand on Des's lower abdomen and smiled then her free hand dropped to the key around her neck.
"No, it can't be, I can't be pregnant Mom! You can't leave me, you never told me about this shit!" Destiny wailed as her Mom took her last breath and I stood there in confusion, weren't we just talking about her not dying?
Des dropped her head as her shoulders shook with silent sobs and I was rubbing her shoulder tryin' to comfort her.
"Des, they killed Faith. I shot the Governor he should've been dead, but he made it all the way here-" Carl was telling her his voice thick with tears as he knelt beside he Father and severely injured mother.
"Please Carl, just tell me... Where is she?" She asked him her voice strong despite the loss she's suffered and she should be mourning her family's deaths, not trying to be strong.
"In the back of that truck, I'm sorry I got there too late to stop any of it." He growled whilst shaking his head and Destiny shook her head at him as she stood to her feet.
"None of this is your fault Carl. None of it, You hear me? Death is inevitable in the normal world, not to mention how common it is in this world... I know you did everything in your power to help and I thank you for that, but you have to try to remember to be a teenager sometimes. Let me be the adult, I hear I'm pretty damn'd good at it and I promise that I'll NEVER allow anything or anyone to harm you, Jude or Soph." Destiny told him looking back at him with tears rolling down her face.
I pulled her into a hug, she kissed me and smiled then turned and headed to the back of the truck. If she really was pregnant than she shouldn't be stressed, seeing her sister and Mother dead is a lot of stress and that's not good for a fetus.
"No. Let me get yer Mom loaded in the back and we can head back once-" I was trying to say to her when Beth reanimated and was crawling towards Destiny while her Mother reanimated as well.
"I'm so sorry... I failed all of you." She sighed as she pushed me back, pulled out her knife and swiftly stabbed them in the heads ending their torment.
She sheathed her knife, but stood there staring at Beth and Olivia, the two people she tried her hardest to keep safe and once again I wrapped my arms around her waist, laying a hand over her lower abdomen, where hopefully our child rest safely inside her.
"Ya didn't fail 'em, they snuck out and were their own demise. This ain't on ya, ya can mourn them but don't take their stupidity on yer shoulders, right Des?" I stated and she just nodded her head whilst laying her hand over mine.
"I wasn't sure up until now... I'm pregnant Daryl and I don't have the damn'dest idea how any of this goes. My Mom sorts skipped out on that part of growing up and I only know whatever school told us, I'd say I could look it up on the internet but we don't have that sort of stuff anymore." She babbled as she held on tightly to me and leaned her head back on my shoulder.
"We'll figure it out, maybe one of these people is a good doc, whatever happens I'm here for ya and our baby." I told her my voice more gruff than before due to my throat getting tight from emotion.
"Thank you Daryl, that means more than anything in the entire fucked up world... Now time to be a leader again." She sighed whilst kissing me, removing herself from my embrace but holding my hand as she looked at the people who needed a leader.
"My name is Destiny Jameson and I'll be you're Co-Leader, but the real person to talk to with any problems would be Caesar, he is a man who can be trusted and is the pillar of a good person. We all are as long as we remember to listen to the rules and behave, none of us have to die." Destiny spoke loud and clear addressing all of the people of Woodbury.
"As for how this place used to be ran... well you'll find that the rules and everything are changed. There will be no more arena, no more people getting away with not contributing and everyone will learn how to fight. All of this if for your own safety and our piece of mind." She further explained to them, getting back into being a leader, obviously forcing herself to push her feelings down until she can deal with them without people around.
I needed ta fix her not havin' my last name, especially with her possibly bein' pregnant with my child. She more than deserves to have my name, she's put up with a lot of my shit and I'm sure once I ask Merle and Rick then they'll agree.
Call me 'old fashioned' but I still believed in askin' her sole guardian for Destiny's hand in marriage, which means I'd have to find the right time to ask Dylan if I could marry his sister. Of course it'd be a while from now, due to them having lost their Mother and Sister, but sooner or later Destiny will be my wife.
"-all that bein' said, Anymore remaining Governor's men will be interrogated and have a mental evaluation done on them to figure out whether they're safe to be around the people and after that, it will then be determined whether they will live or die."