Chapter 42: Misunderstanding

"The Problem is not the Problem. Your problem is your attitude about the problem." ~Jack Sparrow

Daryl's POV:

"So Carl, your going to have the keys and you'll be in charge of keeping everyone safe. Should anything go wrong, you corral everyone back behind the door and lock it, until we get back and help secure everything." Des instructed Carl and I was watchin' her, even on her supposed 'break' she couldn't stop what she was doin'.
I'd been ordered by Des and Rick ta head outside ta help Glenn reinforce the second Fence. Somethin' I'd been doin' for a good four Hours now and it's almost done, maybe a good four more Hours and it'll be as good as new.
Des has been organizin' and giving everyone their orders of where to guard and who to listen to, all mornin'.
Right after She gave Carl instructions on what ta do should anythin' go wrong, she went ta work on organizin' the stuff we had scavenged off our last Run.
"Firecracker, come here." I heard Merle call out for Des, I leaned against the wall closest ta the exit of the Prison, close enough ta Des, but far 'nough away where everyone would know that Des is in command.
"Hey, do you wanna come out and give me a hand on the Fence or do you wanna Gawk at Des all day?" Glenn asked me and I waved him off, as I chewed on my tooth pick and watched as Des walked up ta Merle.
We were on a ten minute break, to rehydrate, eat a Lil somethin', 'fore we all had ta go back ta our duties ta prepare fer when most of us leave ta Woodbury an' solved the problem.
"Yer doin' good out there commanded everyone, I mean it's all fine and Dandy that you have people on watch until we get back, but what happens if they can't hold the prison till we get back? Should anythin' go down the shit hole." Merle asked her and Des frowned, her eyebrow furrowed in concentration as she tried to figure out an escape route.
"Okay, you know what, You've got a point... How the hell did I miss that, shit!" She grumbled and ran a hand through her all ready tousled hair.
"Hey Girlie, it's fine, jus' leave it up ta ol' Merle, I'll see what I can come up with and when I do, I'll talk ta ya." He smiled and patted her on the back, she smiled back at him and suddenly threw herself into his arms, hugging Merle.
I shook my head with a smirk, pushed off the wall, ta go outside ta finish helpin' Glenn and whoever else was on the job of fixin' the Fence.
I'm glad that Des and Merle get along, it makes my life all that much simpler, I don' know what I'd do if neither of them got along, or worse yet, if she hadn't been head strong 'nough ta bring him Back here.
I'm an incredibly lucky Bastard, because she is well beyond what I deserve to have as a...Girlfriend? Is that what we are Boyfriend/Girlfriend, or is that somethin' We talk about? Shit, I ain't good with this junk, I'll just leave it at 'were together'.

"Okay, here's Plan C, should anything happen to when you absolutely HAVE to leave the Prison, Merle came up with the plan. Take it away Merle!" Des smiled Broadly at Merle and gave him the floor to explain the Backup Escape plan.
"Well, should any serious shit go down, then we can all leave out the back, head through the woods and stay in a Big Underground Bomb shelter that Darleena and I found a Week or two ago." Merle explained and I nodded my head at their escape plan.
"Right, Now, I know quite a few of you still are having a hard time trusting Merle, but it up to you whether you wanna rebel against him or Work With him, because he is telling the truth. Now is the time to speak up or just listen to all of us to save your lives." Des stood tall and challenged anyone to talk against my Brother.
"Very well, now we're going to go on the escape route after Lunch, so no one gets lost, should you guys actually have to use it." Des looked at everyone and sat down to finish her lunch.
"Yer doin' good Baby Gurl." I draped my arm around her hips and whispered in her ear, tryin' ta be as casual as possible and not attract any attention from anyone.
"Thanks Dare, I couldn't do it without you, Merle, Rick, Michone and everyone else though." She whispered back at me, we were nose to nose.
Des smiled, pushed her now empty bowl away, raised an eyebrow at me, stood up and headed towards our room.
"Thirty minutes guys! Then we'll meet outside the Prison and head toward the Bunker, enjoy your lunch." Des informed all of them, faced me and when her eyes met mine, I knew she wanted me to follow her.
I quickly tipped my bowl back, finished my Squirrel stew, stood up and casually followed after Des. Though I didn't miss the smirked from Rick and Merle's chuckle.