Chapter 48: Half The Battle

Daryl's POV:

The walk back to the Vehicles so far had be silent, obviously everyone was lost in their heads, but Des bein' quiet concerned me.

Mostly cause, She usually babbles on about different scenarios that Could happen on a mission, but she is bein' uncharacteristically quiet.

"Obviously, Martínez hadn't lied about going unnoticed using that side entrance. So, we can assume that so far, he's kept his word." Des sighed, Finally breaking her silence.

We walked through the woods towards the vehicles and she pushed some branches out of her face.

I looked her up and down, trying to figure out just what was making her not act like her usual self.

Now that I'd gotten the chance to take a better look at her, she kind of looked pale; As She has fer the last couple o' weeks.

Though, her hand was shakin', was she in pain, has she been in pain fer the last fer weeks? How'd I not realize her discomfort?

"Hey, are ya doin' alrigh'? Ya look like ya might be sick, or somethin' and yer shakin', what's wrong Des?" I asked her and she sent me a wary smile.

"It's nothing, I think I'm just nervous...I don't know how I'd live with myself, if anyone got hurt and I'm making myself sick over it. I guess..." She shrugged her shoulders, patted my arm, unsheathed her Katana and sliced the Walkers head in half, before it got ta close.

I've noticed that in the last few weeks, that Des has been Pale, Shakey and Moody.

Now, that could mean a lot o' different things, it could mean that, like I originally thought last night, that she's gettin' her period, or she's on her period, she's not eatin' right, or she's... No. Just No.

I mean, she couldn't be, right? We've taken the necessary precautions, ta avoid that...nah. I know that she can't be, she's probably right, she's just worryin' ta much about how this mission might go.

We'd gotten all the unnecessary stuff put into our vehicles and kept our weapons with us. We kept in the woods until we couldn't anymore and made a mad dash to the gap in the Metal.

Oddly enough, we'd only run inta about Ten walkers, usually we'd run into at least fifteen, to twenty. The people of Woodbury must kill a lot o' walkers from up on the wall

"Remember, we only move out when we hear Martínez say 'This is our only chance!' Once he says that we step out, get everyone's attention and somehow sway them to see the Governor for who he really is." Des whispered, as all of us plastered ourselves against a brick wall and she peeked around the corner of it.

"Damn it, I don't see that ugly bastard anywhere..." Des growled and laid back against the wall. She bit her lip, shook her head and got a determined look on her face.

It seemed like Des had regained some of her color since, twenty ta thirty minutes earlier and looked ready ta take on the world. She was back in charge and ready fer action.

I enjoyed watchin' her take control and lead, she looked more in her element, almost like when she's around Carl, Sophia and Judith.

"We can't live like this! We gotta fight back, the Governor doesn't deserve to live, not after everything he's done!" I heard Martínez yell and I knew, without a doubt, we'd need ta come outta hiding very soon.

"He's had us murder Innocent people! All in the name of 'protecting this town' and I'm gonna call bullshit on him." Martínez growled and I smirked, I may not have liked the Spic before, but he's pretty Damn'd good with his words.