April 22, 2018 [Humility]

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 2:3-5

Humility-

In previous chapters, I have discussed with you all my difficulty with anxiety, self-consciousness, and a deprecating view of self worth. Since then, I have received numerous messages asking me how I coped with it and how I worked through it. And I've always owed it to my obedience to God; but what exactly does that look like?

Everyone has different qualities that he or she uses to serve the Lord, but there are characteristics we are told to embody, just as Christ did. One of those is humility.

It's easy to become overwhelmed with the darkness in this world. It's easy to believe one small act of kindness won't make a difference. It's easy to become convinced that our light does not stand a chance against the darkness. But it is important hold fast to this truth: light always overcomes darkness, no matter how small or simple it may be. Furthermore, darkness can never overcome light.

I'm a firm believer we can change the world with the Lord on our side, and humility is a great way to start. I contribute the humility God has developed in me to much of my personal growth.

Humility is a broad term. So, what exactly does it look like? Humility is the act of putting others before yourself. For me, that has looked like reaching out to others as a friend. I've known how it feels to be alone, to feel like everyone is staring at you and no one cares about you, all at the same time. I was able to overcome the self-consciousness that had trapped me into a shy, isolated lifestyle. This changed when I began reaching out to others. It's intimidating to approach someone you've never spoken to before, unsure of how they will respond. But that little assurance you feel in your heart, the little nudge that acknowledges your care for others, is the Holy Spirit. And I can only imagine how happy the Lord is to see us interact with others with the same love He offers us.

I always felt like being alone placed a target on my back. And as I've grown, I've become susceptible to this target on others. I felt closest to God when I carried a meaningful conversation with the girl by herself or offered to sit with the girl at church with no one by her side.

There's a boy at my school who transferred in the middle of the semester. And whether intentional or not, people closed him off, treating him like the isolated new kid he probably felt like. And it broke my heart when I saw him sitting at a lunch table by himself. Because I had eaten lunch all alone only a few years prior.

So I asked him to sit with me. I got to know him a bit. I've recruited him for group projects in class, and it makes me happy to know he comes and finds me when we're presented with another one. It makes me happy to know he feels comfortable and appreciated with me.

Last week, we were told to get in groups of no more than four. Turned out that three of my friends had the perfect group once they recruited me. But the boy I had taken the liberty to partner with, had no one. It would have been easy for me to just join my friends, silently hope he found a group without intervening myself. But as God has given me confidence, He has also given me a consciousness that refuses to be silent, no matter the cost.

I was prepared to make a power team with just him and me if need be, but without any further hesitation, I asked him to join my group. Thankfully my teacher allowed our group of five, but we had become a packaged deal. He wasn't going to be on his own if I had anything to do with it.

I'm telling you this to encourage you, not to brag about my humility. Because the last part of the verse above says this mindset is given to us in Christ Jesus. It's not anything I'm doing; it's the mindset God has instilled in me.

And my outreach to him may not seem like a big deal. But I want to be part of a generation that truly cares for others. I want to be part of God's plan by creating small acts of kindness not from the goodness of my heart, but from the greatness of Him. I want to treat others the way He always does. I want to love others the way He never ceases to love us. I want to radiate a love so powerful, it could only be of His doing. I want to change the world in a way only He can.

Dear Lord,
Help me see others the way You do. Encourage me to remain humble and forever serve others in Your name. Keep me from being blinded by my own selfish desires. Instead, instill in me your humbling qualities that will lead others to You. In Your beautiful name, Amen.