September 4, 2017 [Who God Is]

"God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" -Numbers 23:19

Who God Is-

Tonight, I was just thinking about how good God is. Does that realization just hit you sometimes? He is so good to us. Unbelievably good, even.

People often misinterpret God--not just non-believers, but Christians just as much. We become doubtful of the Lord. Of His existence, of His character. Because how could an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-merciful and gracious God exist, right? Many doubt His very existence due to what they claim as logic. But what logic could possibly justify holding God to a human standard? He's capable of so much more than we are. He doesn't hold grudges like we do. He doesn't disappoint like we do. He doesn't abandon like we do. So why do we expect things from a loving God that isn't and never will be of His nature?

I've been hurt before. I've been abandoned, and I've been disappointed. And I've definitely been subjected to many grudges in my life. I've been responsibly for inflicting these on others. We don't always treat each other kindly, and we often deem ourselves fit of determining what other people deserve. But that is not our place. I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of playing God while putting God Himself under human-like expectations.

Dear God,

You are so good. Remind me that You aren't me. You don't struggle with living right and loving others. I need to stop treating You like a human and instead like the true God You are. I am so grateful and undeserving of such a gracious God that doesn't get impatient or bored of me. I pray that I don't underestimate You or try to put You in a box when you are so much bigger and capable of more. In Jesus' name, Amen.