June 13, 2014 [Appearance]

Appearance

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

"You're so pretty!" That's what every girl wants to hear, right? I'm that way too. I remember two years ago, when I was (as I described myself) a "nerd", I always wanted to be called pretty. I remember at the end of the year, we did an activity, where we had a piece of paper with our names on it, and you were supposed to write something sweet anonymously to that person. I remember I got mine back and one person had written "PRETTY" really big across the paper. That's the first time I remember being called pretty. The next year, when I was friends with someone who was naturally outgoing and noticed more, all of a sudden, people started calling me beautiful all the time. But I realized, my appearances really hadn't changed any, just my group of friends. It really was the first time people actually noticed me. Then, as I grew farther apart from my friend, I wasn't called pretty anymore. It was rare when it did happen, and I found myself doubting the genuineness to it.

Yet, every girl wants to be called pretty. But is that what you really want? Society label you as "pretty" just based on who you're around. It's not even really based on your looks! Either way, I value my attitude more than my looks or group of friends. I would much rather be called pretty because of what's inside than what's outside.

Did you know that's what "beautiful" use to mean? Today's society has subtly changed the real meaning. When someone calls you pretty, you usually assume they are talking about what you're wearing, how your hair looks, or another outward characteristic to your appearance. The same can be said when you refer to someone as "pretty".

Lots of girls spend hours working out, or putting on makeup, because we're all worried about one daunting thing: if we have a beautiful appearance. It's fine to work out, or to put makeup on, but when you do it to the point where you're unhappy, or you feel like you have to, that's when it's bad. I think applying these things in moderation is perfectly fine.

Everyone is always concerned about what others think. It doesn't matter! We aren't judged on our looks when we stand in front of God. In fact, we are all "wonderfully made" in His eyes, and His opinion is a million times more important than what anyone else thinks. He thinks we are all beautiful in our own way. Don't become so invested in your appearance that you lose sight of the real picture. We should be making our attitudes beautiful in the way that we act around others. As Christians, we are making a public statement that we wish to live our lives for our God. As messengers for Him, we need to allow His love to shine through our own, beautiful actions.

Dear God, I know I tell myself I'm not beautiful, but help me realize that I am wrong! Beauty is on the inside, and I truly am beautiful. Help me work to make my personality prettier, not my looks. I wish to live for You, Lord, and I know a beautiful personality is important in doing that. Amen.