Chapter 52

"Someone tell me what happened." I said. Everyone was shocked, yes, and the world it was so small just this room cuddled at least (I'm not suggesting that Holland Weaver is too, no I am not.) six people that could go to the same party. That was an interesting thought, I noted mentally.

Ezra was still looking at me with a teeny disapproval but at least he didn't shoot me on point, which was good. "Now the Mute Moon is scattered."

"What do we do?" Eli dragged John's sleeve collar lightly, his face concerned.

"Side with Hamish of course." He waved his hand just with a slight gesture at the former leader of the Mute Moon, "How many men do you have that are loyal to you still?"

"That is a good question." Jim Hamish said, frowned, "Because Sonya Campbell had a group of rebels. And she was the head of security."

Titian volunteered by throwing up his hand into the air, "Dead."

"Okay." The guy didn't even look surprised and nodded, "Maybe about one to two hundred. I know it's not much, but stuff like this, better not to count than to count."

John calculated roughly in his head, then gave up and asked Eli to. "It is nine hundred men, boss." He said cheerfully, "And we didn't get hurt! So that's good, right?" Although the last bit was irrelevant and obvious that did cheer some of us up, maybe even just a little bit.

Boss nodded approvingly and turned to Ezra, "How many men do you have, then?"

"I'm not uniting with anyone." He put his hand up first and said after, "Seven hundred."

"Great." I muttered, "My favourite number sixteen."

Syn looked at me with puppy eyes, "Is it?"

"No!" I almost yelled at him, "It's fourteen!"

"Sorry." He looked at his toes.

"I think this would be enough for any little rebels. Anyone?" John said, and after a pause he ordered, "Good. Everyone go home and get ready for little rebels then."

My head chuckled to me, And sort out Jacky Amber's little love life.

Which I really wanted to ignore but couldn't. I knew that it was speaking the truth, but I couldn't bring myself to sort it out. It was like a big pile of stuff that had been on your desk for ages and you just grew immune to it, and you thought it was indestructible, and then actually when you finally got to it one day it was actually pretty easy to clean up.

Except this mess wasn't made by just one person. It was made by two people, or even maybe three. What am I supposed to do, facing this giant mess?