Chapter 42

"So what is it about?" He said, standing next to the dryer.

I was totally confused. "What was what about? I thought you called me in here because you had stuff to say." I asked back, looking into the mirror. I wasn't in my best shape- there were several hairs on my head that were out of place, but I guess I didn't really had my mind of them.

"You were flirting with the girl." He said again, this time followed by a quick pass of his hand under the dryer so it made a swoosh noise for about three seconds.

What? I guess my face answered it for me because if I kept making faces at this rate I would be all wrinkly and old-looking by thirty-five, so I tried to make a straight face when he looked up at me, "Yeah, you were talking to her all along."

"Don't be suspicious!" I threw my arms up in frustration and I guess I was teeny bit too loud because the empty bathroom echoed my voice so I kept it down, "You know I won't do anything like that."

Then his gaze made my back go icy. What did that mean? "Oh but yet," He was now fiddling with a piece of tissue, "I don't."

"What do you mean, you don't?" I said. I think we both knew that I wouldn't flirt with a girl, right? Especially someone like that. Eww, no thanks. Err, I take that back. I mean, I take that "thanks" back.

While my thoughts were racing he said, "There were no influences when you were little. There were nothing. There were, in face, zero, about anything misleading in your early life. How do I know? You tell me."

Oh, okay. I guess it was time. "So if I tell you, you'll tell me, right? About Titian?" I asked, slightly looking down with raised eyebrows and feeling guilty that I was treating him as an outsider.

He was startled by the name that for one whole second his fingers stopped moving and the next were twiddling the tissue again and said as normal as possible as if it didn't happen, "Sure."

"When I was eight one day I went out to buy ice-cream. Then I saw this black car across the street and when it left there were two men and a kid, and the kid was Titian. They opened the wall up and the grown-ups went in and Titian smiled at me before he went. When I came back from the shop with the ice-cream the wall was still open so I went over and took a look and turned out it was a big, black, scary tunnel maze. I was lost in there with a box of ice-cream which didn't seem to be melting. It was freezing cold and I thought I was in hell, until I found Titian standing there in the corner with a lamp and he led me out and I felt weird toward him and... Crap." I said.

"Oh my gosh." Syn agreed, "Now we're all good on gangs? So do we go? Now?"

"Let me call my boss first and we can go. I don't even know why that Jim gay guy said my name while introducing, that was weird." I said as my fingers moved across the keyboard.

"Hello?" I said.

"Amber! Why are you calling from the bathroom there's wine out here!" John said.

"I know where Titian possibly is, can I go now? With Syn...?" I asked.

"...Okay. You go. I don't think Mute Moon's our alley though." He warned me and we said good-bye and I hung up.

I looked up at Syn. He nodded.

"Let's go."