Chapter 28

Wow. I feel really nervous. It was supposed to be a mission wasn't it? But it was officially my first ever date out with Syn, no matter what the purpose was. Part of me just wanted to have fun tonight, but the bigger plan needed action I also knew. People would die if I don't do something.

I was standing next to the beach bar. Just around the corner it seemed surprisingly quiet and dark comparing to the noisy and bright place. I paced around for a bit, and at nine thirty-two he arrived in a taxi and stepped off and waved at me.

"Hey," He said when he walked near enough to talk, "So. You do look stressed. I didn't bring my box... I don't think it's a problem about your body, so yeah. Plus, I know you hate it."

I chuckled a bit, "Yeah. I do."

"So we go in and sit." He pushed the door open and held it for me. Just simple actions like that made my heart jump. No! Concentrate! My brain screamed and I stepped through. The air inside was hot and stuffy compared to the seashore breeze out there. The place was noisy and not noticing- which was perfect for the situation right now. If he lost control and started to kill me, I would have zero attention whatsoever.

...Okay, maybe a little.

We sat at one of the booth and I ordered nothing. He clicked his fingers with his gaze still on me and called for a beer. The waitress, following his instructions, changed it to double and went away shortly after eyeing him.

"So, what's on your mind?" He was wearing his glasses today because of unknown reason. That actually calmed me down a bit; I knew it was a lie but I still told myself that this Syn was not the one I always faced, and therefore it was not the hardest to face. But looking into his eyes, deep down in me I knew it was still him.

Hey, even if he is in the Inevitable, he's still him, right?

I pushed down that thought. Don't think it's alright if it's just him, it's different. I told myself. "I don't know. A lot of stuff." That was half-truth.

"Is it about your work?" He reached out for my hand and when he touched me, I reflexed and took it back. He glanced at my hand but said nothing more of the topic, "Don't worry, okay? Whatever it is, it will pass."

I muttered to myself, "No it wouldn't. It's too important."

I didn't even mean to let the last bit to come out, and even in a noisy environment like this he still caught it. I blushed slightly when he looked at me.