Chapter 27

But no. Wait what? I stared at the photo. I did nothing but stare at it. It was Syn, or someone exactly like him (I just thought with all the hotness there must not be anyone who was like him), not exactly looking at the camera, his head slightly tilted and a smile on his face, wearing an old-fashioned suit.

I didn't get it, although I should have. I read the profile. Syn Procreece, only son of Ezra Procreece, the head of Inevitable. Current job unknown. Current address unknown. Below them all was John's handwriting: get it right when you still have the chance, Amber. Eli told me all.

The first thing that came to my mind was to blame Eli, though I knew that it wasn't his fault. Boss should have known it anyway even if no-one told him. I smashed my fist onto the desk: Syn! Why did he do this to me?

Then a very bad idea came to my mind. I grabbed the phone and dialled the number. After a few beeps his voice came. "Hello? It's Dr. Procreece speaking."

"Syn." I said, trying to sound normal, "You free tonight?"

"Um..." There was a pause in his voice and some shuffling of papers, probably his schedule of death or something, "Yeah. I guess. What's wrong?"

I gulped and hoped that he didn't hear, "Nothing, just... I'm stressed lately. What do you say let's go out and have dinner? And you can check on me and everything?"

"Yeah, sure. I have an appointment at seven, though, so it might be a bit late." Very quickly he added, "I don't mean to take part-time jobs, but you know..."

He's even taking other jobs without telling me. I gulped again and said with some difficulty, "Yeah, it's alright."

"Really?" Sounded like the one who was stressed was him, "You sure?"

"Yeah of course." I said, "What about, say, at that bar near the beach at nine thirty?"

More shuffling of papers. "Alright." He said finally.

"'K. See you there." I managed to make myself sound like smiling over the phone and waited for one and a half second and then hung up. Phew. That was hard, to lie to him. I might really stress. Even thinking about seeing that white box made me shudder.

What's wrong with me? I almost smashed myself in the head, It's just a guy! Get over it!

And I pressed down the screaming little voice in my head before pushing out of my chair and standing up and walking away, But is it just a guy though?