Chapter 21

Syn looked at me and guessed from his expression I thought he was ultimately confused, but if I had spent time explaining everything to him Titian would shoot me first, so I just averted my gaze and focused on Titian instead.

His face was unreadable as he just went through the whole flash-back he saw on my face. Then he gave a tiny grin again, the gun in his hand loosened and was dangling from his index finger which was just beside the trigger.

I guessed that Syn was scared, but he did not make any spare sounds. It was strange. I thought I heard some shuffling outside the door, but I did not dare to turn and so therefore was not sure. Maybe it was some back-up, but I did not dare to hope. If Titian heard it, he did not let on.

"You know the reason why I didn't kill you do you not." He said, not really a question but a single statement, the scar on his face barely moved as he spoke, "So are you still there in the maze, or are you with him." Another statement. Great.

So was I supposed to choose one of them? Did that mean that if I chose Syn, Titian would shoot him? I would not have anyone shoot anybody. Plus, Syn's weight on me just became more and more everyday- it had been a month, perhaps, from the first time I had been in his office. I wondered whether if it was still as bare.

But what if I chose Titian and he would have Syn shot nevertheless? I guess I may had still some feelings left for the boy who, that year I thought bravely, led me out of the maze. Now I looked back and he could have totally lead me into his house, if that was what the tunnels led to the other way.

I was struggling when he inhaled sharply, looking behind me. I turned at a minimum angle and saw Eli, who just pushed open the door and not yet in the room. His hand was still on the handle, his face, too, unreadable. (I wondered what happened to people's faces these days.)

Strangely Titian did no lift his gun, his gaze still on me, "Choose."

Eli froze where he was. I did not know why he knew what was happening in the room but I was glad that as least I had one back-up to support what I was going to say. "I choose," I pointed my finger.