Chapter 40

"And this is John Fallen the head of Fallen... Surprise me." He gestured at boss. John nodded reluctantly.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I broke up with him once." He said. Not exactly secret, I guess.

But now I was pretty sure that Eli and John are together. I mean, look at them two! Everything, like, everything, implied that they would be happily ever after. "This is a quite new character here," Jim Hamish startled me when he pointed at me who was in my deep own thoughts' sea, "...Jacky Amber."

I thought he was only introducing every "head of the clan", so what was happening now? Luckily, or unluckily- for better or worse was a right way to put it- he just flashed me a smile and moved on, "This is our new head of security, Sonya Campbell."

She nodded at two directions. I glanced at her and she said, "What? Sick homo, don't even get near me."

As if she wasn't! I grumbled and pushed my back against the seat. Yes, I could be childish sometimes, but that really depended on how people treated me- like Sonya Campbell, I could kill her the moment I got the chance. Thinking that made me feel a teeny bit better so I sat up and listened.

More blah.

After Jim Hamish announced that the food would be served before the Meeting and put down the microphone, Syn slipped heaps of glances at me as I did the same to him. I even chuckled out loud once and got a stare from Sonya Campbell and a glance from boss and Eli. (Oh my gosh, they were sticking together like jellies.)

The first dish was very fancy. In plain words, fruit salad. I wasn't a healthy person, so I didn't eat fruit salad. I kept my kilos down by sit-ups, push-ups and chin-ups, otherwise I would be heaps fat right now- my bad junk-food system was already moulded when I was little with all the ice-cream and chips.

"Why aren't you eating?" Sonya Campbell asked as she pressed her fork into a small tomato, "This is salad."

"I don't like salad." I said.

"Gosh you are childish." She said and rolled her eyes again. Maybe she wasn't noticing that Eli wasn't eating, either- although I think that was more of an appetite problem than anything near pure likes-and-dislikes.

Yes, I could be childish. But, if I was childish all the time, who was this tough guy who got promoted in just some years (consider myself lucky) that you could count in a handful and everything? I really wanted to remind this Sonya Campbell that everyone who was sitting here was the greatest in the best, but stopped myself from so. Her bad.