Chapter 26

Well, well. Another peaceful day began with an alarm clock and paperwork. These days I practically lived in my office, with a pillow and a pile of blankets. The weather was turning warm but occasionally froze on some days, which was not good. Anyway, I had been slack with Syn lately. Didn't know what was wrong with me, but I started at some night clubs. It was great fun I guess, but I never got drunk or did anything stupid, maybe except for going to night club itself.

Just yesterday we had a high commander meeting and John Fallen (it was a coincidence I assure you), our boss, told us with a whiteboard behind him slowing complicated numbers and streets etc. that the always-had-been-quiet organisation, Inevitable, had now came to action and starting to strike down other small and younger groups. He delivered his concerns and wanted to meet the head of that group.

"You," He pointed at Eli (I just think they had something), and then turned to me, "And you, too. Both of you need to come see me after the meeting. We go, we discuss."

I gulped and said nothing. Usually a private meeting with the boss wouldn't mean anything good- except last time I got a promotion and a big office and everything. But this sounded different. Others were staring at us two as if we did something wrong.

Hopefully we didn't.

"Amber," He said with a stack of paper in his hands and stuffed them all into my arms, "This this. This is your target tomorrow, okay? Get it? If the meeting gets sour, you strike this guy, you get me? Eh? Now get going, I have more important stuff to talk to Eli." Just like that he swiped me like an empty jelly bowl out of the door.

He called me by my last name and Eli by his first. I just walked away thinking about that and heard they talking about his job- strike the boss down. Pfft! What do I care. I held the papers close to my chest and did not open them to look until I was sitting at my desk. I started to read the information: blah blah blah blah. More blah blah blah blah. Boring. Blah blah blah. There wasn't even a name.

The son of the head of the clan, I see. So it wasn't all that simple! At least I got the second most important person, I thought as I opened to the second page to see the photo.

It was Syn's.