Chapter 32

"Actually I don't really mind which one of you." He chuckled icily, and the air seemed to be frozen again, the way it had been when I was alone in the tunnels. That reminded me of a very important question to ask.

"Which gang do you come from?" I said, and momentarily regretting it. Syn was quiet behind me.

He shook his head with laughter, "Oh, boy. Boy. You are still young." That made me feel nauseous. He wanted something from either of us. He wanted that. As if he was older. I frowned slightly, he might had noticed but didn't seem to mind, "You wanna know?" And he stepped back, "Come find out."

Syn was about to move forward when I stopped him, "I'll go. He wants me and it's my life in his hand."

"Come back alive," He suddenly grinned, kind of eerily and left a troublesome line, "I knew Titian when we were little." With that he stepped back and walked away, maybe to retreat his glasses.

No! Don't go! Wait what? Before I could react the man already came near me and gripped my arm like an iron claw, "It's time for walking."

And that seriously meant walking. I was put on a blind-fold and walked blindly, tripping over curbs and rocks, all the way down the beach. With all the life-saving skills of directions and the map studying and the drive-around-when-bored-ing made a pretty good sense now: we were walking down south along the seashore, which meant that he was leading me to some warehouses or the other.

Turned out that I was right. I could hear two big, heavy metal doors were opened while one of the men had his hand clawed to my upper arm. I didn't breathe loudly so that I could hear everything around me: when the doors opened there were birds flapping their wings and a smell of dread hit me.

A dim light was turned on. As the doors closed again behind me they blocked out the washing sounds of the sea. I guess was the head of them took off the cloth on my eyes. The place was only too familiar: I saw it in one of the photographs I studies for the Inevitable.

"This place is under police investigation." I said.

"But the place behind this place isn't." He smiled and led on. I was dragged forward. My legs started to hurt. I was forced on my feet. I tried to find something to say so I asked, "You are from the Inevitable?"

He snarled but didn't turn around as he opened a small door under a big second-floor corridor, fishing for the keys in his pocket while hissing, "There is not just me who is not satisfied when Procreece was sent to spy on you. We knew he would screw up. Master doesn't want us to interfere. We quit. Simple as that. Now shut your damn mouth."

He opened the door, walked aside to hold it and gestured the rest of them in.