Chapter 30

"How do I know I can trust you?" Just right after I finished saying that, a tugging pain shot through my arm. I was pretty sure that I wasn't shot, for the first instant second. He must had seen it on my face although I tried to give him a straight one.

"That," He yanked my arm and I knew whether I liked it or not, and rolled up my sleeve with some force- right there on my left arm, there was a red spot near my wrist and thin red lines spreading across my forearm, "Is poison. I knew it."

I looked at him with unstoppable resentment, "Then why didn't you tell me?"

"It's from the Shining Stars," He said, but his hand was already fishing in his pocket, "I thought it was from my father, but mine would be blue instead of red, so yeah. Let me see if my stuff would help..."

I dragged my arm across the table and stood up, "No, just no! You've already lied so much to me and I don't even care whether I'm gonna die or whatever! It'll just be tomorrow and it'll be all over!"

"You don't understand!" He followed after me outside the bar after leaving some notes on the table. The breeze hit my face hard and it was almost eleven. The tide was high. "You're not going to live through tomorrow if I don't slow it down!"

I turned around, "Hey, hey! Stop it right there! How do I know that you won't kill me? I pay you to protect me! Why would you linger for that teeny bit of money if your father's the head of Inevitable? Huh? And, why did you get near me in the first place? I just shouldn't have trusted you! It's all my fault! Why did I put my life into a guy's hand, and this guy I only talked to once, and this guy's files I only read once, this guy... This guy... This guy I knew nothing about!"

He stopped and his eyes widened. "Calm down, Jacky. That poison is going to kill you faster if you get angry because your heart will pump faster."

"What do I care!" I threw my hands up in frustration, completely losing my nerves and stomping the wet, stuffy sand, "What do I care what do I care! Tell me one thing about you that I can trust! No you can't! You just can't!"

Syn walked toward me. I wanted to pull away, but I just couldn't. I remembered that he left his glasses on the table, back there in the bar. He got nearer and nearer. "I can tell you one thing." He said, looking at me, we were not even touching but I felt burn. It must had been my arm and the damn poison.

"I love you."