Chapter 24

About a quarter later there were three gentle knocks on the door. Soon it was opened with some keys or another. With the familiar rhythm thuds Syn pushed the door of my bedroom slowly open, and his eyes widened as he located me in my bed amidst the big ocean of tissues, "Oh my goodness! Why did you not call me earlier!"

It was more of an exclamation than a question, so I took a guess that I didn't need to answer. He dragged my chair near the bed and sat down beside me and reached for the thermometer, "Oh my gosh, you're so too sick." And he stood up and went to get his white box, which I think was in the lounge room.

Very soon he trailed back with some fluid in bottles in the scary (I never thought of it as scary before but now, not that sure...) white box. I reflexed and hugged my knees under the blanket and rolled to face the wall.

"Don't be a child," He chimed and said, "Turn and sit up."

I didn't move. I did not think anyone would like any medicines anyhow. (Being sick made my vocabulary sad.) "Sit up." He said, more commanding than anything else. Maybe, or just maybe he would have some secret weapon or acid that would instantly kill me.

Or maybe it was my sick, fevering brain.

I sat up slowly, my limps burning and sent the signals to my brain which was overworking. Everything had spots on them as I saw him. "Oh my gosh," He said, grabbing some bottles or other, "You are really fevering, eh?"

"Didn't... Know... What you were thinking." I said, and the rest of the sentence came more easily, "What was wrong with you."

Syn now had a plastic medicine cup in his hand reaching out for mine, and the thing had whitish liquid in it, "Well, why did you all of a sudden get such a fever? I don't know what's wrong with you." He sounded unsure, but sort of like a blaming... Ugh, can't think straight.

"What is it?" I asked and took it. It was warm and giving off heat, "That cute stuff?"

"No," He said, sitting back in the chair, "That cute stuff is not strong enough for you now. This is the anti-cute stuff."

I gulped it down and instantly regretting it. It felt like burning coal running and ruining along my throat, "Gah!" I yelped and clenched my neck, "Hot." Syn looked at me and tusked and shook his head, "Sorry. It must be hot to work."

"Worked... All day." I managed to say, for a split-second he did not know what was I talking about and the moment after picked up the trail of the conversation I had left behind, "Wanted... To know."

"I guess I just..." He said, reaching for the cup and yanked it away from my hand, "I don't know. I think you shouldn't have done that and I think he has more to it than he let on."

I rolled on my bed and bringing up all the blankets. The medicine was working and I could definitely feel my forehead cooling down but my mind was turning slower and I felt like dozing off. "Just go to sleep." He decided to say and close up the white box (despite all that was going on, it was a relief) and put it on my desk.

"What do you do?" I asked using all my willpower not to fall asleep, "Leave?"

Before I got the answer, I dropped into the darkness alone. Or maybe not alone.