Chapter 14

Just as I finished the last bit of my eggs my phone buzzed on the table. I picked it up. Syn looked at me, definitely curiously and somehow worryingly. "It'll be alright." I smiled at him, but wasn't so sure myself. It read "Eli" at the top. I thumbed it open and there was only one single line of text in big, bold letters.

"TITIAN CAM FIRST ATTACK COME QUICK" Was all he said, but that was already too much and enough. Now it was the panic time. I stuffed my phone in the jeans' pocket and stood up quickly, the chair tumbled all the way back and screeched on the trail. Syn looked at me, surprised.

"I have to go." I did not intend to make the sentence sound so harsh even in my own ears, but it was too late and everything came second before group attack, "Titian Cam attacked. You have to come with me and stay just outside the safe distance, in case anyone gets hurt."

I sped down the stairs because there was no time for the elevator, and then there was my car there. I didn't even have time to thank Syn before I got into the driver side and him in the passenger seat and I raced toward our tall building downtown.

When I got there, the ground floor was chaos. People in black, suits or both ran around, guns held in their hands ready to be fired and reloaded. I aimed for the elevator and grabbed two small pistols from the front desk and past one of them to Syn, who was just running beside me. The elevator door opened.

"Wouldn't it be dangerous, riding this?" He asked as we slid into the small space.

"They wouldn't expect it." I answered, saying the less I could to prevent panic. My heart-rate was already rising like crazy, vertically on the chart and if the wrong thing slip out of my mouth there would be two heart attacks right in this elevator car and one of those a medic on a battlefield and the other high commander. That would not happen.

We rode up in silence. The confined room stopped at level 27. I held the door and Syn walked out quickly. "You," I pointed at him, "Stay in my office. The glass are bullet-proof. In the changing room the third locker from the left on the top has vests and self-defence weapons you can spare. The bathroom is the safest place. Don't come out if it isn't a high commander asking you to."

We high commanders had office from 25 to 43. Level 44 was the roof and probably where the Titian's back-ups were right now. My job was always to destroy the back-up force while Eli was in control of the direct force. High commanders had their own badges, like mine was my VIP card that always was in my pocket sticking out somewhere of the sushi place. Eli's was the scar he received last time Titian came, two years ago when we were still all trainees.

"What about you?" Asked Syn the dumbest and the most heart-breaking question ever. I gave the right answer, "I'll be alright. Now go."

He wasn't letting go of the door with his feet. I kissed his lips harshly and let go the button. The doors closed and all Syn left me was a glimpse of his back silhouette running toward my office.

Good-bye for now.