Chapter 2

"So," He came in and eased my office's door shut with his feet, carrying a white plastic box with a red fat cross on it in his hands and now had set it on the coffee table, "Please sit down."

I did as he told. Today morning I had a bad throat, and I had called Dr. Procreece in at lunch break. One for testing his actual skills of a doctor, one for seeing how he reacts to different situations. For example, my office is not the exact type of "office" you think about when you see the word.

It had one big, square temperature-controlled pool and a big cross of paths slightly higher than the pool to divide the water into four square sections. The one end of the cross is at the door, which has a widened platform as wide as the door set. The left end stopped at my desk, and the right end was to the other two rooms- my private bathroom and changing rooms, and the one at the front to the balcony, which was a leisure area since it had a glass canopy and couches and coffee table and magazines and the sort.

Syn, however, did not act surprised- or as surprised as I thought he might be.

Good, at least he took that well.

He had now took out a long piece of thing (yeah, I have zero idea what that is) that looked like an ice-cream stick- I wanted to recall some memories, but all I could remember was ice-creams, more ice-creams, paddle-pop sticks. This privilege of having a private doctor was given by myself since I got a really big case done, and before that I rarely went to hospital for (*cough cough*) common cold or sore throat or anything. I looked at it with a quizzical expression.

"This is a spatula. For your mouth." He explained, "Now open your mouth." I did at he told. He pressed down my tongue with that spatula thing and tusked with his tongue, "Ah, too bad. All red and swollen."

"Huh?" I wanted to say, but my voice was so cracked I didn't manage to make any sounds at my first attempt, and I tried again more clearly this time, "What...?"

Syn was going through the white box, "Your throat is all red and swollen. You need some medicine. Like this." Then he took out a bottle of yellowish liquid, "This is a mixture that includes ammonium. Don't ask me what that does in a scientific way. It won't kill you, and it will feel cool in your throat. Take your time swallowing it."

I actually like this bolder him...?

Just as I was thinking he poured a small amount of the liquid into a small cup and past it to me. I took it and drank it. It was probably the nicest medicine I had ever met in many years.

Syn looked at me and, shockingly, grinned, "Tastes nice, right?"

Since my throat had been bad all morning, I just nodded and stood up and simply said, "You should go now."

That grin of his... Stunning.

Wait no what?!

He looked at me for a moment, his lips tight, and then closed the lid of the box without questions. Just as he was walking out the door, I called him to a stop, "Could you please buy me those really cute kitten sushi outside the building? Like, ten or so? And bring them up. Then you can go."

He nodded and closed the door behind him.

I closed my eyes. My expectations of the job were, so far, all met.

He was obedient, quiet and without questions. All I wanted was a doctor, nothing less, and nothing more.