Chapter 29

Syn, now looking all serious and tensed, pulled his hand off the table and leaned back onto the dirtied and old leather back, "I'm concerned. Are you sure you don't want to talk to me about it?"

Yeah, because you are it. You are the biggest problem in my life. And I don't want to get rid of you.

The same waitress interrupted

"Actually," As I talked I could see the flash-backs before my eyes- a meeting where one of the participants' hand was under the table it meant that he held a gun- and forced them down, "Yes."

His look changed slightly. What was I thinking about? This man who is paid to protect my life wouldn't kill me! I laughed mentally but suddenly realised something. He is paid to protect me! And he's a spy! And he's not paid to be a spy! I almost got all angry at the thought before I kept my voice steady again, "It's about you."

To my surprise, he just chuckled softly, "You found out, didn't you?"

"What do you mean, I found out?" All my anger just suddenly burst apart when I didn't mean them to and they spilled into my voice bitter spices and all the worries disappeared and for a dreadful second I felt good, but I kept going, "You're a spy! You are a spy! Came to my place! You know everything about me! I know nothing about you!"

Syn sat up straighter and luckily there was no sign of kill on his face. I remembered the day I met him, when I saw that there were no sign of it either, back there in his office. He now took off his glasses and put them on the table, near the wall, furthest from me.

"I was not involved." He started with that. I tried to convince myself that all he was talking was a lie and he was living a lie and he was telling me a lie all the time and he gave me a big whole juicy lie and everything I was to him was a joke... But I couldn't bring myself to it. I just had to believe even though I didn't want to. "But I was never able to quit due to my father. Tomorrow I had to go to the meeting, but after that I would be free."

I guessed and I was right- there was more to it. "But I had to tell them everything about you, yes- they told me to or you'll be in danger." He had a flickering weak smile on his face- what was that for?- "I cannot do that, can I? So I have to tell them all about you tomorrow before the meeting. I've tried everything, and this date was the latest they gave me."

Lie. Lie. Lie. All lie. Please tell me a lie. You already told me a lie. I took all that in, what he said and what my head said, with great pretence as if I understood the situation perfectly well and was keeping a perfect poker face. Actually I was screaming inside and my body was on auto-pilot. I didn't know what to think.